POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Paraboloid Server Time
1 Jun 2024 18:43:31 EDT (-0400)
  Paraboloid (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: SharkD
Subject: Paraboloid
Date: 23 Jun 2011 22:03:54
Message: <4e03f08a@news.povray.org>
How do I create a paraboloid where a slice through the object produces a
circle of a fixed and known size? Thanks!

Mike

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Paraboloid
Date: 24 Jun 2011 03:05:05
Message: <4e043721$1@news.povray.org>
Le 24/06/2011 04:03, SharkD a écrit :
> How do I create a paraboloid where a slice through the object produces a
> circle of a fixed and known size? Thanks!

Slice of paraboloid are circle only when the slice is perpendicular to
the axis of the paraboloid.

Ergo, if the slice is parallel to the z plane, the circle will be
a.(x²+y²) - b = 0

a.(x²+y²) is the square of the radius (r² := b).

If the equation of your paraboloid is (classical) z=k.(x²+y²), it seems
obvious that the slice must have a z so that k.(x²+y²) is the square of
the desired radius.

(i.e. #local z_position = sqrt( pow(r,2)/k );  )

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.

Post a reply to this message

Le 24/06/2011 09:05, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 24/06/2011 04:03, SharkD a écrit :
>> How do I create a paraboloid where a slice through the object produces a
>> circle of a fixed and known size? Thanks!
>
> Slice of paraboloid are circle only when the slice is perpendicular to
> the axis of the paraboloid.
>
> Ergo, if the slice is parallel to the z plane, the circle will be
> a.(x²+y²) - b = 0
>
> a.(x²+y²) is the square of the radius (r² := b).
>
> If the equation of your paraboloid is (classical) z=k.(x²+y²), it seems
> obvious that the slice must have a z so that k.(x²+y²) is the square of
> the desired radius.
>
> (i.e. #local z_position = sqrt( pow(r,2)/k );  )

Oups,
it's z_position = pow(r,2)/k;

Simpler that way.
--
Real software engineers work from 9 to 5, because that is<br/>
the way the job is described in the formal spec.  Working<br/>

Post a reply to this message

On 6/24/2011 9:51 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> z_position = pow(r,2)/k;

But, what is k?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> On 6/24/2011 9:51 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> z_position = pow(r,2)/k;
>
> But, what is k?

Nevermind, got it to work. Thanks!!

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> On 6/24/2011 9:51 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> z_position = pow(r,2)/k;
>
> But, what is k?

Here's my POV code:

#include "shapes.inc"

#local p_radius = 2;
#local p_scale = 2;
#local z_position = pow(p_radius,2)/p_scale;

intersection
{
	object
	{