POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Divide by zero Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:30:38 EDT (-0400)
  Divide by zero (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: stbenge
Subject: Divide by zero
Date: 19 Jul 2010 13:44:35
Message: <4c448f03@news.povray.org>
Hello,

In one of my macros, I'm finding the slope of a 2D line, and sometimes I
get that warning about dividing by zero. Since it seems that diving any
number by zero results in an infinite number, would something like this
be a good fix?

#if(A.x-B.x != 0)
  #local m1 = (A.y-B.y)/(A.x-B.x);
#else
  #local m1 = 1e10;
#end

It seems to get rid of the warnings, but I wonder if there's a better way.

This poor hack was (understandably) giving me artifacts:

(A.x-B.x+0.000001)

I guess the other option is to jitter my points slightly, but that would
introduce problems into the whole setup, and total infallibility would
still not be ensured.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Le 19/07/2010 19:44, stbenge nous fit lire :
> Hello,
>
> In one of my macros, I'm finding the slope of a 2D line, and sometimes I
> get that warning about dividing by zero. Since it seems that diving any
> number by zero results in an infinite number, would something like this
> be a good fix?
>
> #if(A.x-B.x != 0)
>  #local m1 = (A.y-B.y)/(A.x-B.x);
> #else
>  #local m1 = 1e10;
> #end
>
> It seems to get rid of the warnings, but I wonder if there's a better way.
>
> This poor hack was (understandably) giving me artifacts:
>
> (A.x-B.x+0.000001)
>
> I guess the other option is to jitter my points slightly, but that would
> introduce problems into the whole setup, and total infallibility would
> still not be ensured.

Why do you need the sloperate of your 2D line ?
why not computing the angle of the slope instead, using atan2 ?
With the angle instead of the slope, no more issue with vertical line.

(atan2() result would be in radian, just in case you would be wondering)

Post a reply to this message

> Why do you need the sloperate of your 2D line ?
> why not computing the angle of the slope instead, using atan2 ?
> With the angle instead of the slope, no more issue with vertical line.
>
> (atan2() result would be in radian, just in case you would be wondering)

It's for a 2D line intersection macro, and the way I learned how to
perform that makes use of classic Coordinate Geometry.

Post a reply to this message