POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Improving media performance Server Time
29 Jun 2024 01:54:39 EDT (-0400)
  Improving media performance (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: SharkD
Subject: Re: Improving media performance
Date: 27 Jun 2010 11:58:17
Message: <4c277519$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/26/2010 1:59 PM, Alain wrote:
> Not for the presure.
> As the air in the center may, under some conditions, rotate slightly
> faster than the station, the presure *will* diminishes from the surface
> toward the center.
> BUT, as the radius is /only/ 1 Km and quite probably a rim gravity less
> than Earth's gravity, the presure gradient will be relatively small,
> possibly small enough to be neglected. Maybe in the order of 2% or 3%.
> After all, you realy don't need a full Earth gravity, something between
> 0.5G and 0.7G should be enough.
>

> Alain

If I remove the density map, will rendering times change? Also, how
should I specify the media's density when the pattern is absent?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 27 Jun 2010 13:23:57
Message: <4c27892d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-06-27 11:58, SharkD a écrit :
> On 6/26/2010 1:59 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Not for the presure.
>> As the air in the center may, under some conditions, rotate slightly
>> faster than the station, the presure *will* diminishes from the surface
>> toward the center.
>> BUT, as the radius is /only/ 1 Km and quite probably a rim gravity less
>> than Earth's gravity, the presure gradient will be relatively small,
>> possibly small enough to be neglected. Maybe in the order of 2% or 3%.
>> After all, you realy don't need a full Earth gravity, something between
>> 0.5G and 0.7G should be enough.
>>

>> Alain
>
> If I remove the density map, will rendering times change? Also, how
> should I specify the media's density when the pattern is absent?

You may not need as many samples, whitch will make things go faster.
NEVER use intervals and only use samples. It's MUCH faster.
Set your media base density. The density from the map get multiplied
with it.
scattering{1, rgb 0.01,.....}
Change the rgb value.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> You may not need as many samples, whitch will make things go faster.
> NEVER use intervals and only use samples. It's MUCH faster.
> Set your media base density. The density from the map get multiplied
> with it.
> scattering{1, rgb 0.01,.....}
> Change the rgb value.
>

> Alain

I'll try that then.

OT - Too bad we don't have a GasSys include like we have a LightSys one! :)

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> If I remove the density map, will rendering times change? Also, how
> should I specify the media's density when the pattern is absent?

It's worth a try at least. As for the density, just specify none. All
you use to control the constant density is the parameter after the
"emission", "absorption" or "scattering" keyword.

Post a reply to this message

>> If I remove the density map, will rendering times change? Also, how
>> should I specify the media's density when the pattern is absent?
>
> It's worth a try at least. As for the density, just specify none. All
> you use to control the constant density is the parameter after the
> "emission", "absorption" or "scattering" keyword.

No such luck.

:(

It still drops render times to the pixels-per-minute range.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

>>> If I remove the density map, will rendering times change? Also, how
>>> should I specify the media's density when the pattern is absent?
>>
>> It's worth a try at least. As for the density, just specify none. All
>> you use to control the constant density is the parameter after the
>> "emission", "absorption" or "scattering" keyword.
>
> No such luck.
>
> :(
>
> It still drops render times to the pixels-per-minute range.

Try with less samples. Uniform media usualy need less samples. Don't set
intervals but leave it to default = 1.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 29 Jun 2010 22:18:21
Message: <4c2aa96d@news.povray.org>
On 6/29/2010 9:57 PM, Alain wrote:
> Try with less samples. Uniform media usualy need less samples. Don't set
> intervals but leave it to default = 1.
>

> Alain

Samples right now are at their defaults. Should I use values smaller than 1?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 30 Jun 2010 14:12:58
Message: <4c2b892a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-06-29 22:18, SharkD a écrit :
> On 6/29/2010 9:57 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Try with less samples. Uniform media usualy need less samples. Don't set
>> intervals but leave it to default = 1.
>>

>> Alain
>

> Samples right now are at their defaults. Should I use values smaller
> than 1?

Try samples 5.

A value of zero or negative don't make any sence, and should'nt work.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 3 Jul 2010 12:06:37
Message: <4c2f600d@news.povray.org>
On 6/30/2010 2:12 PM, Alain wrote:
> Try samples 5.
>
> A value of zero or negative don't make any sence, and should'nt work.
>

> Alain

I'm using the defaults which are 1,1. Can I go lower than that?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 3 Jul 2010 22:15:54
Message: <4c2feeda@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-07-03 12:06, SharkD a écrit :
> On 6/30/2010 2:12 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Try samples 5.
>>
>> A value of zero or negative don't make any sence, and should'nt work.
>>

>> Alain
>

> I'm using the defaults which are 1,1. Can I go lower than that?

samples 1,1 may have been the default for method 1.
The default method 3 only use a single samples value. If there is a
second value present, it's ignored.

samples 1 is the lowest you can go. That mean that you only ever take a
single sample of your media.

Alain