POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Improving media performance Server Time
30 Jun 2024 02:10:48 EDT (-0400)
  Improving media performance (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: SharkD
Subject: Re: Improving media performance
Date: 28 Jun 2010 16:17:39
Message: <4c290363$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/27/2010 6:01 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 27.06.2010 17:58, schrieb SharkD:
>
>> If I remove the density map, will rendering times change? Also, how
>> should I specify the media's density when the pattern is absent?
>
> It's worth a try at least. As for the density, just specify none. All
> you use to control the constant density is the parameter after the
> "emission", "absorption" or "scattering" keyword.

No such luck.

:(

It still drops render times to the pixels-per-minute range.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 29 Jun 2010 21:57:49
Message: <4c2aa49d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-06-28 16:17, SharkD a écrit :
> On 6/27/2010 6:01 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 27.06.2010 17:58, schrieb SharkD:
>>
>>> If I remove the density map, will rendering times change? Also, how
>>> should I specify the media's density when the pattern is absent?
>>
>> It's worth a try at least. As for the density, just specify none. All
>> you use to control the constant density is the parameter after the
>> "emission", "absorption" or "scattering" keyword.
>
> No such luck.
>
> :(
>
> It still drops render times to the pixels-per-minute range.

Try with less samples. Uniform media usualy need less samples. Don't set
intervals but leave it to default = 1.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 29 Jun 2010 22:18:21
Message: <4c2aa96d@news.povray.org>
On 6/29/2010 9:57 PM, Alain wrote:
> Try with less samples. Uniform media usualy need less samples. Don't set
> intervals but leave it to default = 1.
>

> Alain

Samples right now are at their defaults. Should I use values smaller than 1?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 30 Jun 2010 14:12:58
Message: <4c2b892a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-06-29 22:18, SharkD a écrit :
> On 6/29/2010 9:57 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Try with less samples. Uniform media usualy need less samples. Don't set
>> intervals but leave it to default = 1.
>>

>> Alain
>

> Samples right now are at their defaults. Should I use values smaller
> than 1?

Try samples 5.

A value of zero or negative don't make any sence, and should'nt work.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 3 Jul 2010 12:06:37
Message: <4c2f600d@news.povray.org>
On 6/30/2010 2:12 PM, Alain wrote:
> Try samples 5.
>
> A value of zero or negative don't make any sence, and should'nt work.
>

> Alain

I'm using the defaults which are 1,1. Can I go lower than that?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 3 Jul 2010 22:15:54
Message: <4c2feeda@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-07-03 12:06, SharkD a écrit :
> On 6/30/2010 2:12 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Try samples 5.
>>
>> A value of zero or negative don't make any sence, and should'nt work.
>>

>> Alain
>

> I'm using the defaults which are 1,1. Can I go lower than that?

samples 1,1 may have been the default for method 1.
The default method 3 only use a single samples value. If there is a
second value present, it's ignored.

samples 1 is the lowest you can go. That mean that you only ever take a
single sample of your media.

Alain