POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Problems with macro (3.6) Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Problems with macro (3.6) (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: SharkD
Subject: Problems with macro (3.6)
Date: 9 Jun 2010 17:22:25
Message: <4c100611$1@news.povray.org>
I've written the following macro to tweak some color values:

#macro gamma_color_adjust(in_color, in_transmit)
	#local out_gamma = 2.2;
	#if (in_transmit)
		VPow(in_color,out_gamma) + <0,0,0,in_transmit,>
	#else
		VPow(in_color,out_gamma)
	#end
#end

The macro takes a three component color vector as the first parameter,
and a single transmit parameter as the second parameter. I keep getting
the error, "Expected 6 parameters but only 5 found." What did I do wrong?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> I've written the following macro to tweak some color values:
>
> #macro gamma_color_adjust(in_color, in_transmit)
> #local out_gamma = 2.2;
> #if (in_transmit)
> VPow(in_color,out_gamma) + <0,0,0,in_transmit,>
> #else
> VPow(in_color,out_gamma)
> #end
> #end
>
> The macro takes a three component color vector as the first parameter,
> and a single transmit parameter as the second parameter. I keep getting
> the error, "Expected 6 parameters but only 5 found." What did I do wrong?

Not sure what's wrong there (sounds pretty strange), but I suggest a
different approach to the macro anyway:

     #macro Gamma_Adjust(In_Color)
     #local Out_Gamma = 2.2;
       rgbft <
         pow(In_Color.red,   Out_Gamma),
         pow(In_Color.green, Out_Gamma),
         pow(In_Color.blue,  Out_Gamma),
         In_Color.filter,
         In_Color.transmit

     #end

Using three separate calls to pow isn't any slower than VPow (actually
it's faster, because VPow is just another macro that itself calls pow
thrice), and you also don't need separate parameters; just replace (e.g.)

     color rgbt <R,G,B,T>

with

     color Gamma_Adjust( rgbt <R,G,B,T> )

It should work with any color literal syntax you can imagine, such as
"color red R", "color rgb GREY filter F", "color rgbft <R,G,B,F,T>", or
what-have-you.

(BTW, I suggest using Mixed_Case identifiers for anything you name
yourself, as lower_case identifiers pose a risk of conflicting with
future SDL keywords.)

Post a reply to this message

> I've written the following macro to tweak some color values:
>
> #macro gamma_color_adjust(in_color, in_transmit)
>  #local out_gamma = 2.2;
>  #if (in_transmit)
>   VPow(in_color,out_gamma) + <0,0,0,in_transmit,>
>  #else
>   VPow(in_color,out_gamma)
>  #end
> #end
>
> The macro takes a three component color vector as the first parameter,
> and a single transmit parameter as the second parameter. I keep getting
> the error, "Expected 6 parameters but only 5 found." What did I do wrong?
>

> --
> http://isometricland.com

I didn't try it, but I noticed that there is a trailing comma after in_transmit,
which could make povray think that there should be another value.  If this is a
direct copy&paste, double check that comma.

    HTH
-Reactor

Post a reply to this message

> I didn't try it, but I noticed that there is a trailing comma after in_transmit,
> which could make povray think that there should be another value.  If this is a
> direct copy&paste, double check that comma.
>
>      HTH
> -Reactor

IIRC, trailing commas after vector components are legal. I will try
without though.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> It should work with any color literal syntax you can imagine, such as
> "color red R", "color rgb GREY filter F", "color rgbft <R,G,B,F,T>", or
> what-have-you.
>
> (BTW, I suggest using Mixed_Case identifiers for anything you name
> yourself, as lower_case identifiers pose a risk of conflicting with
> future SDL keywords.)

It didn't work for me, in 3.6 at least. Example:

     #macro Gamma_Adjust(In_Color)
     #local Out_Gamma = 2.2;
       rgbft <
         pow(In_Color.red,   Out_Gamma),
         pow(In_Color.green, Out_Gamma),
         pow(In_Color.blue,  Out_Gamma),
         In_Color.filter,
         In_Color.transmit

     #end

     #declare test_color = Gamma_Adjust(<1,1,1>);

Results in an "Bad operands for period operator" error.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

"SharkD" <pos### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Results in an "Bad operands for period operator" error.

You certainly have seen my thread in povray.general: "Bad operands", on
20-5-2010?  :-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

>> It should work with any color literal syntax you can imagine, such as
>> "color red R", "color rgb GREY filter F", "color rgbft <R,G,B,F,T>", or
>> what-have-you.
>>
>> (BTW, I suggest using Mixed_Case identifiers for anything you name
>> yourself, as lower_case identifiers pose a risk of conflicting with
>> future SDL keywords.)
>
> It didn't work for me, in 3.6 at least. Example:
>
> #declare test_color = Gamma_Adjust(<1,1,1>);
>
> Results in an "Bad operands for period operator" error.

<1,1,1> is not a color (=5D vector), but a 3D vector. Try this instead:

    #declare test_color = Gamma_Adjust( rgb <1,1,1> );

Post a reply to this message

On 6/10/2010 3:04 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "SharkD"<pos### [at] gmailcom>  schreef in bericht
>> Results in an "Bad operands for period operator" error.
>
> You certainly have seen my thread in povray.general: "Bad operands", on
> 20-5-2010?  :-)
>
> Thomas

No, I didn't. Was the problem ever resolved?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message