POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1? Server Time
8 May 2024 20:02:20 EDT (-0400)
  Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1? (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1?
Date: 20 Aug 2010 18:01:48
Message: <4c6efb4c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.08.2010 01:35, schrieb SharkD:
> On 6/9/2010 7:26 AM, clipka wrote:
>> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
>> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
>> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
>> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
>> as well.
>
> What about colors like <1,1,1> or <1,0,0>? Raising them to a power has
> no effect.

Exactly. Gamma adjustment affects midtones, but does not change the
maximum brightness.

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 20 Aug 2010 19:02:47
Message: <4c6f0997$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/17/2010 7:59 PM, Alain wrote:
> And there are also cases where assumed_gamma was (ab)used instead of
> ajusting the lights intencity or the finish. Like: My scene is to
> dark/bright, don't bother looking at the lights/finishes/pigments,
> change assumed_gamma to compensate.
>
> Often, you'll need to adjust the falues of the light_source as well as
> the pigments and textures.
>

> Alain

I've been doing some systematic tests and tweaks. So far I can reproduce
the appearance of pre-assumed_gamma scenes in scenes with assumed_gamma
= 1 in cases where the following parameters vary:

1. lighting color
2. pigment color
3. ambient (finish, not global_settings)
4. diffuse

I haven't figured out filter and transmit yet. I'm guessing it will
require replacing the linear pigment/gradient functions in the original
scenes with exponential ones.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

>> And there are also cases where assumed_gamma was (ab)used instead of
>> ajusting the lights intencity or the finish. Like: My scene is to
>> dark/bright, don't bother looking at the lights/finishes/pigments,
>> change assumed_gamma to compensate.
>>
>> Often, you'll need to adjust the falues of the light_source as well as
>> the pigments and textures.
>>

>> Alain
>
> I've been doing some systematic tests and tweaks. So far I can reproduce
> the appearance of pre-assumed_gamma scenes in scenes with assumed_gamma
> = 1 in cases where the following parameters vary:
>
> 1. lighting color
> 2. pigment color
> 3. ambient (finish, not global_settings)
> 4. diffuse
>

> I haven't figured out filter and transmit yet. I'm guessing it will
> require replacing the linear pigment/gradient functions in the original
> scenes with exponential ones.

You probably don't need to change the filter and transmit values.

Alain