POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : What's my gamma? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  What's my gamma? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: SharkD
Subject: What's my gamma?
Date: 4 Jun 2010 19:46:35
Message: <4c09905b$1@news.povray.org>
I have a new flatscreen monitor from eMachines and am running Win7
64bit. According to the nVidia control panel my gamma is 1.0. Is that
the value I should use in INI settings?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: What's my gamma?
Date: 5 Jun 2010 04:18:42
Message: <4c0a0862@news.povray.org>
SharkD <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I have a new flatscreen monitor from eMachines and am running Win7
> 64bit. According to the nVidia control panel my gamma is 1.0. Is that
> the value I should use in INI settings?

  I think that your *monitor* gamma and your *graphics card* gamma are
two different things. The graphics card gamma probably tells how the card
would change the colors (if it was different from 1.0), but doesn't affect
the gamma of your monitor.

  You can test what the proper gamma for your system is by showing a
0.5 gray square (which has been rendered with POV-Ray 3.7) side-by-side
with a square which has horizontal lines alternating between pure black
and pure white. If they look about the same, then the gamma setting in
POV-Ray is correct. You should probably start with a gamma of 2.2.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message