POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Color conversion Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:28:15 EDT (-0400)
  Color conversion (Message 11 to 20 of 30)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Color conversion
Date: 11 Nov 2009 04:31:44
Message: <4afa8480$1@news.povray.org>
> Taken care of by whom? Well, thats a rhetoric question 'cause obviously
> you do *NOT* use chromatic adaption but again and in more detail:
> chromatic adaption is *ALWAYS NEEDED* when your target color space uses a
> whitepoint that differs from D50 and the source xyz is referring to
> reflective colors (as Munsell) and not to emitted colors (as spectral
> data).

Doesn't that depend on whether he wants to reproduce the exact XYZ colour on
his monitor, or the colour that the surface would have looked if lit with
the same white point as his monitor rather than the original white?

Post a reply to this message

>> Taken care of by whom? Well, thats a rhetoric question 'cause
>> obviously you do *NOT* use chromatic adaption but again and in more
>> detail: chromatic adaption is *ALWAYS NEEDED* when your target color
>> space uses a whitepoint that differs from D50 and the source xyz is
>> referring to reflective colors (as Munsell) and not to emitted colors
>> (as spectral data).
>
> Doesn't that depend on whether he wants to reproduce the exact XYZ
> colour on his monitor, or the colour that the surface would have looked
> if lit with the same white point as his monitor rather than the original
> white?

I'm talking about the correct conversion xyY to s(c)RGB and nothing
else. How exact the reproduction on any kind of monitor will be depends
on quality and calibration of that device and has nothing to do with the
  color space conversion itself. The second half of your sentence does
not make much sense.

-Ive

Post a reply to this message