POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : pass variable from macro? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:01:36 EDT (-0400)
  pass variable from macro? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Subject: pass variable from macro?
Date: 26 Jan 2008 03:40:18
Message: <479af1f2$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

A little stuck here... evidently povray does not support any type of
Return() function, and I am not familiar enough with sdl yet to figure this
out any other way.
This little macro does what it says, but not in this form.

#macro isEvenOrOdd(integer)
 #if(mod(integer,2) = 0)
  #local isEven = 1;
 #else
  #local isOdd = 1;
 #end
#end

I had to use an instance of the following each time that I wished to use
this function:
       // Determines if even or odd
       #if(mod(glowTypeRand,2) = 0)
        type 0
       #else
        type 2
      #end

There HAS to be some way to pass variables from a macro...right? :-\

Thanks,
Ian

Post a reply to this message

>A little stuck here... evidently povray does not support any type of
>Return() function, and I am not familiar enough with sdl yet to figure this
>out any other way.
>This little macro does what it says, but not in this form.
>
>#macro isEvenOrOdd(integer)
> #if(mod(integer,2) = 0)
>  #local isEven = 1;
> #else
>  #local isOdd = 1;
> #end
>#end
 >
>There HAS to be some way to pass variables from a macro...right? :-\

You're confusing the concept of MACRO with the concept of FUNCTION.

The entire contents of a macro are "returned", so you can write:

#macro isEven(integer)
  #if(mod(integer,2) = 0)
   #local even = 1;
  #else
   #local even = 0;
  #end
  (even)
#end

#if (isEven(3))
   #debug "3 is even\n"
#else
   #debug "3 is odd\n"
#end

Or
#macro isOdd(integer)
  (mod(integer,2))
#end

#if (isOdd(3))
   #debug "3 is odd\n"
#else
   #debug "3 is even\n"
#end

Don't get confused into thinking that those macros get evaluated and
then return integer values. They "return" chunks of SDL code like
   #if(mod(3,2) = 0) #local even=1; #else #local even = 0; #end (even)
And what happens is that
   #if (isEven(3))
effectively becomes
   #if (#if(mod(3,2) = 0) #local even=1; #else #local even = 0; #end
(even))
and THEN gets evaluated.

--
Mike Williams