POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : crackle solid question Server Time
8 Jul 2024 20:05:21 EDT (-0400)
  crackle solid question (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Tek
Subject: crackle solid question
Date: 8 Oct 2006 14:21:18
Message: <4529419e@news.povray.org>
Is there any way to regionally control the values chosen in the {crackle
solid} pattern?

What I want to do is control an isosurface that is based on crackle, by
modulating it by something like
{ crackle solid colour_map { [.5 rgb 0][.5 rgb 1] } }
So that each individual "object" in my isosurface either exists or doesnt.

The problem is, crackle solid is totally random, so I can't influence it to
create a region of my objects.

By way of a specific example: I've made a popcorn isosurface, where each
popcorn kernel is based on a lump in the crackle pattern. Normally to
localise an effect like this I'd just ramp it down towards the edge, but
this makes it look like the popcorn's shrinking and it doesn't make sense to
have small levitating peices of popcorn floating at the top of a bucket
full.

So what I want to do is have a crackle solid pattern where I can make it so
all the solid crackle cells above a certain height are black, or something
like that.

The only way I can see to do it is to write my own very lengthy version of
the crackle pattern as a function and then create the corresponding solid
pattern with the extra control that I desire. But can anyone see a better
way to do it?

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com