POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : With all the talk of color, HCY Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  With all the talk of color, HCY (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: INVALID ADDRESS
Subject: With all the talk of color, HCY
Date: 26 Nov 2016 13:23:53
Message: <1009395818.501876922.648497.gdsHYPHENentropyAThotmaolDOTcom@news.povray.org>
Here is the code I use for working with HCY in Processing, I know this
isn't SDL but I do not at present have time to convert it and I thought
someone might find it useful.

For me it is wonderful because using only one array I can get the range and
intensity of colors I want far more easily than I can with other models, I
just pipe it into H and set C and Y to the value below...though it really
gets interesting when you plug other arrays into Y in particular. That
works out very well for 2 chemical RD systems obviously, which is what I
use it for.

//    H Varies
//    C = 100 [gives full brightness]
//    Y = 75 or varies. [gives full saturation]
public color HCYtoRGB(float h, float c, float y)
{
    final PVector REC709y = new PVector(0.2126, 0.7152, 0.0722);
    PVector hcy = new PVector(h, c, y);

    float r = constrain(abs(6 * h - 3) - 1, 0, 1);
    float g = constrain(2 - abs(6 * h - 2), 0, 1);
    float b = constrain(2 - abs(6 * h - 4), 0, 1);

    PVector rgb = new PVector(r, g, b);

    float z = rgb.dot(REC709y);

    if (z >= hcy.z)
    {
        hcy.y *= hcy.z / z;
    }
    else if (z < 1)
    {
        hcy.y *= (1 - hcy.z) / (1 - z);
    }

    rgb.sub(z, z, z);
    rgb.mult(hcy.y);
    rgb.add(hcy.z, hcy.z, hcy.z);

    rgb.mult(255);

    return color(rgb.x, rgb.y, rgb.z);
}

I hope this is useful to someone. Have fun. :)

I have a render (Processing not Pov) of the predator-prey RD system by
Sirohi et. al. 2015 which will go up on Flickr soon which uses this.

Ian

Post a reply to this message

On 11/26/2016 1:23 PM, [GDS|Entropy] wrote:
> Here is the code I use for working with HCY in Processing, I know this
> isn't SDL but I do not at present have time to convert it and I thought
> someone might find it useful.
>
> For me it is wonderful because using only one array I can get the range and
> intensity of colors I want far more easily than I can with other models, I
> just pipe it into H and set C and Y to the value below...though it really
> gets interesting when you plug other arrays into Y in particular. That
> works out very well for 2 chemical RD systems obviously, which is what I
> use it for.
>
> //    H Varies
> //    C = 100 [gives full brightness]
> //    Y = 75 or varies. [gives full saturation]
> public color HCYtoRGB(float h, float c, float y)
> {
>     final PVector REC709y = new PVector(0.2126, 0.7152, 0.0722);
>     PVector hcy = new PVector(h, c, y);
>
>     float r = constrain(abs(6 * h - 3) - 1, 0, 1);
>     float g = constrain(2 - abs(6 * h - 2), 0, 1);
>     float b = constrain(2 - abs(6 * h - 4), 0, 1);
>
>     PVector rgb = new PVector(r, g, b);
>
>     float z = rgb.dot(REC709y);
>
>     if (z >= hcy.z)
>     {
>         hcy.y *= hcy.z / z;
>     }
>     else if (z < 1)
>     {
>         hcy.y *= (1 - hcy.z) / (1 - z);
>     }
>
>     rgb.sub(z, z, z);
>     rgb.mult(hcy.y);
>     rgb.add(hcy.z, hcy.z, hcy.z);
>
>     rgb.mult(255);
>
>     return color(rgb.x, rgb.y, rgb.z);
> }
>
> I hope this is useful to someone. Have fun. :)
>
> I have a render (Processing not Pov) of the predator-prey RD system by
> Sirohi et. al. 2015 which will go up on Flickr soon which uses this.
>
> Ian

I have never heard of HCY. Is there any documentation about it?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 26.11.2016 um 19:23 schrieb [GDS|Entropy]:

> //    H Varies
> //    C = 100 [gives full brightness]
> //    Y = 75 or varies. [gives full saturation]

That doesn't seem plausible. "C" is typically used for "Chroma" (a
saturation-related value), and "Y" for luminance (or, occasionally,
Luma, though "Y'" would be a more appropriate designation).

Post a reply to this message