POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PowerMac G5 implications : Re: PowerMac G5 implications Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:10:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PowerMac G5 implications
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 24 Jun 2003 06:32:23
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-183806.20323924062003@netplex.aussie.org>
> Also, since the physical address space is up
> to four terabytes, how complex a POV scene could be
> (assuming a 64-bit OS X port).

For many years (up to 4 years ago) I used to run Povray on
64 bit alphas and now on itaniums.
The memory stuff is a two edged sword, I often had to
revert to 32 bit processors because on a 64 bit machine
(with the same total ram as as a 32 bit machine) I used
to run out of memory because more memory was needed due
to longer addresses etc.
--
Paul Bourke
pdb_NOSPAMswin.edu.au