POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : WANTED: a straightforward macro for keeping objects lined up for the camera : Re: WANTED: a straightforward macro for keeping objects lined up for the camera Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WANTED: a straightforward macro for keeping objects lined up for the camera
From: Peter Popov
Date: 30 Oct 2000 01:20:33
Message: <ob4qvssj0vem9q5855b5unl2hjc2hh0t8e@4ax.com>
On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:30:39 -0500, Defective <def### [at] homecom>
wrote:

>My early attempts to keep track of direction involved placing colored
>spheres some distance out along the axes and trying to remember that
>red means X, green means Y and blue means Z.  Of course, this doesn't
>help with positive vs. negative.  So I changed the ones on the
>negative ends to boxes.
>
>Now, I keep tripping over these silly little spheres and boxes.

Try using arrows made of cylinders and cones. I think there's a sample
scene included with POV-Ray and/or an item in the Insert menu in the
Windows version.

>Now, I'm trying to do this with text.  (I find the little Xs, Ys and
>Zs less distracting...)  Unfortunately, the letters are just a bit
>hard to read except from directly in front or back.  I've managed to
>find a little macro using atan() that allows me to aim objects at a
>focal point.  (Someone on the POV-Ray Study Forum at Delphi worked it
>out for aiming eyeballs...)  Problem is that it doesn't work if the
>camera (and focal point) are on the Z plane and things seem to forget
>where to look if I get near the Y axis.
>
>Anybody got ideas?

Try using John VanSickle's Reorient macro, part of his Throroughly
Useful Macros package. There's a link to his site on the povray.org
link section.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet