POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Modernize Moray Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:45:18 EDT (-0400)
  Modernize Moray (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Gregor Szaktilla
Subject: Re: Modernize Moray
Date: 3 Jan 2019 21:59:25
Message: <5c2ecc0d$1@news.povray.org>
Federico Aponte schrieb:
> I understand this question has been repeatedly asked in the past, but still...
>
> *** Is there any way someone can bring development on Moray back to life? ***
>
> I'd be willing to consider putting some effort into it. The aim would initially
> be to use it with a modern version of Windows (and Wine, perhaps?),
> registration-free and address its integration issues with the latest versions of
> POV-Ray.

I've been missing to work with Moray very much. But a few hours ago I
managed to have Moray and POV running under Slackware Linux / wine.

There still is a problem (moray starts pov but it won't render) but I'm
pretty sure that will be solved. Well ... so far ... not yet. At least I
can render the demo scenes that came with pov.

Any help is very welcome!

Gregor

Post a reply to this message

Gregor Szaktilla <spa### [at] ktillade> wrote:
> Federico Aponte schrieb:
> I've been missing to work with Moray very much. But a few hours ago I
> managed to have Moray and POV running under Slackware Linux / wine.
>
> There still is a problem (moray starts pov but it won't render) but I'm
> pretty sure that will be solved. Well ... so far ... not yet. At least I
> can render the demo scenes that came with pov.
>
> Any help is very welcome!
>
> Gregor

Have you thought of exporting the .pov file from Moray and rendering it in
GNU/Linux rather than in WINE?

I too would love to see Moray updated and redeveloped for PovRay 3.7 and ported
to GNU/Linux!

Kind regards,

Diesel1.

Post a reply to this message

> Have you thought of exporting the .pov file from Moray and rendering it in
> GNU/Linux rather than in WINE?

Sure. But it would be much more comfortable to be able to render in WINE
- especially when creating materials.

Gregor

Post a reply to this message

>> Have you thought of exporting the .pov file from Moray and rendering it in
>> GNU/Linux rather than in WINE?
> Sure. But it would be much more comfortable to be able to render in WINE
> - especially when creating materials.

Update: Browsing the POV webite I found the old V 3.5 which works as
expected.

Regards,

Gregor

Post a reply to this message

Gregor Szaktilla <spa### [at] ktillade> wrote:
> Gregor Szaktilla schrieb:
> > Diesel1 schrieb:
> >> Have you thought of exporting the .pov file from Moray and rendering it in
> >> GNU/Linux rather than in WINE?
> > Sure. But it would be much more comfortable to be able to render in WINE
> > - especially when creating materials.
>
> Update: Browsing the POV webite I found the old V 3.5 which works as
> expected.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gregor

I am interested in your wine setup, please can you give some information?

Thanks in advance,
Diesel1.

Post a reply to this message

> Gregor Szaktilla <spa### [at] ktillade> wrote:
>> Gregor Szaktilla schrieb:
>>> Sure. But it would be much more comfortable to be able to render in WINE
>>> - especially when creating materials.
>> Update: Browsing the POV webite I found the old V 3.5 which works as
>> expected.
> I am interested in your wine setup, please can you give some information?

It's a plain and simple Slackware based setup.

I downloaded and built wine from source (https://www.winehq.org/).

Then I downloaded Moray 3.5 (http://www.stmuc.com/moray/) and POV 3.5
(http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Old-Versions/Official-3.5/)

> gszaktilla@mimi:~>wine --version
> wine-3.0.4

The only thing (that I don't really miss) is that only one core of my i5
is used. Compared to what I have been working on before (k6-2@233 MHz in
the mid 90's) it's quite fast. I think you could imagine I'm having a
lot of fun these days :-)

HTH

Gregor

Post a reply to this message

Gregor Szaktilla <spa### [at] ktillade> wrote:
> > I am interested in your wine setup, please can you give some information?
>
> It's a plain and simple Slackware based setup.
>
> I downloaded and built wine from source (https://www.winehq.org/).
>
> Then I downloaded Moray 3.5 (http://www.stmuc.com/moray/) and POV 3.5
> (http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Old-Versions/Official-3.5/)
>
> > gszaktilla@mimi:~>wine --version
> > wine-3.0.4
>
> The only thing (that I don't really miss) is that only one core of my i5
> is used. Compared to what I have been working on before (k6-2@233 MHz in
> the mid 90's) it's quite fast. I think you could imagine I'm having a
> lot of fun these days :-)

Thank you Gregor, that is interesting. I too remember my K6 with fondness! I
spent many late nights sat, in the dark, on my PC using Moray to design POV-Ray
scenes.

I am in the process of setting it up now.

Diesel1.

Post a reply to this message