POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Moray uses materials not textures? Server Time
18 Mar 2024 23:42:59 EDT (-0400)
  Moray uses materials not textures? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: larryfulkerson
Subject: Moray uses materials not textures?
Date: 12 Feb 2009 23:20:00
Message: <web.4994f4d3dbd1682e52125cb10@news.povray.org>
So um.......I'm new to Pov-Ray and Moray and I started horsing around with Moray
just now and created a mesh object and attempted to assign a material to it like
I thought I was supposed to and when Pov-Ray executed it reported that it found
a material where a texture was supposed to be found.  So I unassigned the
material in Moray so that the mesh object didn't have a material or a texture
either one and it renders but the object is rendered as a solid red block and
details can't be descerned on the object nor is it photorealistic.  So I guess
my question is can mesh objects have materials assigned to them and I'm just
doing something wrong or are the texture objects in the Material editor really
materials and not textures.  Something went wrong somewhere and I'm not sure
what to do next.  I can continue creating objects but none of them will have a
material assigned to them if they are mesh objects.  By the way Pov-Ray rocks
and Moray is a dream come true.

Post a reply to this message

"larryfulkerson" <lar### [at] yahoocom> schreef in bericht
> So um.......I'm new to Pov-Ray and Moray and I started horsing around with
> Moray
> just now and created a mesh object and attempted to assign a material to
> it like
> I thought I was supposed to and when Pov-Ray executed it reported that it
> found
> a material where a texture was supposed to be found.  So I unassigned the
> material in Moray so that the mesh object didn't have a material or a
> texture
> either one and it renders but the object is rendered as a solid red block
> and
> details can't be descerned on the object nor is it photorealistic.  So I
> guess
> my question is can mesh objects have materials assigned to them and I'm
> just
> doing something wrong or are the texture objects in the Material editor
> really
> materials and not textures.  Something went wrong somewhere and I'm not
> sure
> what to do next.  I can continue creating objects but none of them will
> have a
> material assigned to them if they are mesh objects.  By the way Pov-Ray
> rocks
> and Moray is a dream come true.

Welcome to the Moray and POV-Ray club.

By default, Moray assigns material{} to all objects. Like you discovered,
the meshes created in Moray only accept texture{}. The solution is very
simple however:

1) open the Material Editor
2) right click on the name of the material you want to assign to your mesh
3) click on Properties/Rename
4) check the box saying "This is a mesh2 texture....."
5) close the properties box and the Material Editor
6) select your mesh
7) on the Modify tab to the right of your screen, you will find the Mesh
Parameters tab, containing a Texture List. Press Add, and select the texture
you have defined for the mesh.

The mesh has now a texture block assigned to it, instead of a material
block. You can now render you scene without problems.

Hope this is clear. If you have any problem or question, don't hesitate to
ask here. I, at least, visit regularly this ng.

You will soon discover that Moray does not cover completely all the
possibilities of POV-Ray, but the differences are quite small. In the
future, Moray is going to be rebuilt to conform to the latest version of
POV-Ray. Maybe you have not realized so, but Moray only functions without
problems with POV-Ray 3.5. You can expect problems if you try to render
directly with 3.6 or 3.7. Of course, you can also simply export your scene
to POV-Ray and render it separately in whichever version you want to use,
Megapov 1.2.1 included.

You may also be interested to try Bishop3D, which is another modeller
dedicated to POV-Ray. You can find it here:
http://www.bishop3d.com/index.htm

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> 2) right click on the name of the material you want to assign to your mesh
> 3) click on Properties/Rename
> 4) check the box saying "This is a mesh2 texture....."
> 5) close the properties box and the Material Editor
> 6) select your mesh
> 7) on the Modify tab to the right of your screen, you will find the Mesh
> Parameters tab, containing a Texture List. Press Add, and select the
> texture you have defined for the mesh.
>
> The mesh has now a texture block assigned to it, instead of a material
> block. You can now render you scene without problems.

In addition, if you DO want to assign a material to your objet (but without
uv_mapping) you can put your mesh in a union CSG or a group and assign your
material to this union or group.

Marc

Post a reply to this message