POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Source code? Server Time
18 Mar 2024 22:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Source code? (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Rob
Subject: Source code?
Date: 10 Aug 2008 11:35:01
Message: <web.489f09a6e18a7325f9ab9d7a0@news.povray.org>
well, it's now been 1 and a half years since POV obtained the rights to moray,
and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere in the near future. So seeing as the
POV team aren't doing anything with it, why not just release the source code
under GPL and let the public deal with it? There's a few features I would like
to add to moray (mainly built-in code input/animation support), but I have no
way knowing how big a task that would be without being able to access the
source. If the source was within my skill range, i would be happy to join some
sort of development team, but I (and a few others by the looks of it) don't
want to jump in at the deep end straight away.

Post a reply to this message

> well, it's now been 1 and a half years since POV obtained the rights to moray,
> and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere in the near future. So seeing as the
> POV team aren't doing anything with it, why not just release the source code
> under GPL and let the public deal with it? There's a few features I would like
> to add to moray (mainly built-in code input/animation support), but I have no
> way knowing how big a task that would be without being able to access the
> source. If the source was within my skill range, i would be happy to join some
> sort of development team, but I (and a few others by the looks of it) don't
> want to jump in at the deep end straight away.

Problem is that the source isn't nearly GPL. There are quite a few
libraries and links belonging to a specific dominating company. So there
are some people trying to 'clean' the code but this task is not an easy one.

Greets
Arne

Post a reply to this message