POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : For the wishlist... Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:11:40 EDT (-0400)
  For the wishlist... (Message 20 to 29 of 29)
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: For the wishlist...
Date: 23 Jan 2007 02:26:22
Message: <q0ebr25jl2qmjdv43ea9fl70ttigdrks9v@4ax.com>
Hi Lawrence W, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> I'm glad I caught your attention.  I swear, I should just e-mail you
> directly...
That would elicit a quicker response....

> Anyway, my issue is with the POVTXTR2.INI file that gets
> created when rendering to POV-Ray.  I've had two specific problems parsing
> that file from within POV-Ray 3.6/3.7: radiosity keyword and (I think) a
> buffer keyword.
Check whether this is from the section that is imported from
POVTXTR.INI.

> I'll have to check my records ....
> If that's not clear, let me know and I'll reinstall POV-Ray 3.7 and post the
> exact messages.
Yes, please do. This is the first I've heard of this, so it seems to
be isolated to your installation.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Jan 2007 03:37:22
Message: <45b5c942@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> schreef in bericht
> Yes, please do. This is the first I've heard of this, so it seems to
> be isolated to your installation.

Hm.... don't be so sure about that.

As far as I know from this ng, everybody (?) has trouble running Moray with
POV-Ray 3.6 (and I suppose 3.7). The general consensus most heard is still
to run Moray with POV-Ray 3.5......

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Arne Kleinophorst
Date: 23 Jan 2007 03:44:03
Message: <45b5cad3$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot schrieb:
> "Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> schreef in bericht
>> Yes, please do. This is the first I've heard of this, so it seems to
>> be isolated to your installation.
>>

> Hm.... don't be so sure about that.
>
> As far as I know from this ng, everybody (?) has trouble running Moray with
> POV-Ray 3.6 (and I suppose 3.7). The general consensus most heard is still
> to run Moray with POV-Ray 3.5......
>
> Thomas

I have both (4) installed, pov 3.5 + megapov & Pov3.6 + megapov. There
are some compatibility problems but nothing that i would be so
frustrated of not to use it.(Argl, what a sentence)

However I've not tried Pov3.7 yet. But Pov 3.6 / Megapov 1.2 is working
more than o.k. for me.

Greets
Arne

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Jan 2007 03:52:22
Message: <45b5ccc6$1@news.povray.org>
"Arne Kleinophorst" <kle### [at] spamdebitelnet> schreef in bericht

> I have both (4) installed, pov 3.5 + megapov & Pov3.6 + megapov. There are
> some compatibility problems but nothing that i would be so frustrated of
> not to use it.(Argl, what a sentence)
>
> However I've not tried Pov3.7 yet. But Pov 3.6 / Megapov 1.2 is working
> more than o.k. for me.

Well, one of the things that makes Moray and POV-Ray crash (when using
POV-Ray 3.6), is the material preview.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Arne Kleinophorst
Date: 23 Jan 2007 04:46:58
Message: <45b5d992@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot schrieb:

> Well, one of the things that makes Moray and POV-Ray crash (when using
> POV-Ray 3.6), is the material preview.
>
> Thomas

So maybe Megapov is more compatible than Povray? I've never thought
about that.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Jan 2007 07:45:22
Message: <45b60362$1@news.povray.org>

> So maybe Megapov is more compatible than Povray? I've never thought about
> that.

That is an interesting idea!! I have not yet tried that....
As soon as my current scenes have finished rendering today, I shall test
Moray with megapov 1.2.1.... Who knows...

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: For the wishlist... Error while trying to render through POV-Ray 3.6 or Megapov 1.2.1.
Date: 23 Jan 2007 10:16:14
Message: <45b626be@news.povray.org>
"Arne Kleinophorst" <kle### [at] spamdebitelnet> schreef in bericht

> So maybe Megapov is more compatible than Povray? I've never thought about
> that.

No way. I tried rendering a material with megapov 1.2.1, but Moray and
POV-Ray froze up in the same way.
Message given: : An unexpected error occurred while trying to make POV-Ray
render the material. (code 3)"

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 25 Jan 2007 01:07:05
Message: <11igr2tn997rnnahlee54j6uji988q2ejl@4ax.com>
Hi Thomas de Groot, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> "Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> schreef in bericht
> > Yes, please do. This is the first I've heard of this, so it seems to
> > be isolated to your installation.
> >

> Hm.... don't be so sure about that.
I am sure that I have never heard of there being rendering problems
related to POV-Ray parsing an exported scene.

I have heard (and reproduced the behaviour) that Moray V3.5 and
POV-Ray V3.6 (and later) cause the rendering to hang sporadically (or
more often :-)). I even tried to find the cause some time ago,
unfortunately, I was unsuccessful, probably due to the Heisenberg
Uncertainty Principle :-). As soon as I added tracing, I could not get
it to hang. This most likely means some kind of threading issue or
race condition is happening. Maybe POV-Ray 3.6 uses multiple threads
in a different way than earlier versions.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Jan 2007 04:08:28
Message: <45b8738c$1@news.povray.org>
> I am sure that I have never heard of there being rendering problems
> related to POV-Ray parsing an exported scene.
>
> I have heard (and reproduced the behaviour) that Moray V3.5 and
> POV-Ray V3.6 (and later) cause the rendering to hang sporadically (or
> more often :-)). I even tried to find the cause some time ago,
> unfortunately, I was unsuccessful, probably due to the Heisenberg
> Uncertainty Principle :-). As soon as I added tracing, I could not get
> it to hang. This most likely means some kind of threading issue or
> race condition is happening. Maybe POV-Ray 3.6 uses multiple threads
> in a different way than earlier versions.

The problem seems to be in the communication between Moray and POV-Ray 3.6.
As you say, I remember that very early on you did try to solve the problem
but could not find the glitch.
Maybe it would be valuable to make again a list of the specific problems
happening. I wonder now if everybody who has met with some problem, have met
with the same ones?

As mentioned in a thread above, my main problem is with the render of a
material preview. Both Moray and POV-Ray freeze, with message "An unexpected
error occurred while trying to make POV-Ray render the material. (code 3)".

This behaviour is... not consequent :-(
I have now also have the case where a (simple) material is rendered the
first time, but next is not, POV-Ray telling me that "A render has completed
but file output was turned off. No file was written. Press F1 for help on
output file control.". After clicking OK, * something*  finishes. However,
if I try to render the material again, Moray closes down abruptly and
Windows asks me if I want to register a bug.

So far, what I have met with now....

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Napivo
Date: 25 Jan 2007 04:20:01
Message: <web.45b875c727a5e5843cd9c0860@news.povray.org>
Lutz Kretzschmar <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote:
> Hi Thomas de Groot, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>

> > "Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> schreef in bericht
> > > Yes, please do. This is the first I've heard of this, so it seems to
> > > be isolated to your installation.
> > >

> > Hm.... don't be so sure about that.
> I am sure that I have never heard of there being rendering problems
> related to POV-Ray parsing an exported scene.
>
> I have heard (and reproduced the behaviour) that Moray V3.5 and
> POV-Ray V3.6 (and later) cause the rendering to hang sporadically (or
> more often :-)). I even tried to find the cause some time ago,
> unfortunately, I was unsuccessful, probably due to the Heisenberg
> Uncertainty Principle :-). As soon as I added tracing, I could not get
> it to hang. This most likely means some kind of threading issue or
> race condition is happening. Maybe POV-Ray 3.6 uses multiple threads
> in a different way than earlier versions.
>
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

I found that with moray 3.5 and povray 3.6 on win 98 , Moray is unable to
stop povray. If I start a second render before the first has stopped Povray
will hang and even needs to be reinstalled.

works just fine on windows XP.

Napivo