POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source Server Time: 17 Jun 2019 12:35:29 GMT
  Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source (Message 1 to 1 of 1)  
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 11:03:36
Message: <45c1c908$1@news.povray.org>
[Followups set to povray.general]

1 February 2007
---------------

The following is a joint announcement from Persistence of Vision Raytracer
Pty. Ltd. ('POV'), Lutz Kretzschmar (Lutz) and Markus Lutz (Markus).

Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd. is pleased to advise that it has
acquired the rights to the 3d modeller 'Moray' from Lutz and Markus. Moray is
a Windows program specifically designed to create 3d models and scenes to be
used with the POV-Ray raytracer, and was originally sold as trialware.

POV will, in due course, re-issue Moray under a new name and new license. The
license has not been decided on with finality, but will be OSI-approved. [POV
is planning to release it under the GPLv3 but this decision is subject of
course to review of the final version of that license.]

The POV-Team is continuing development on version 3.7, which is the last
planned major release of the current POV-Ray codebase prior to version 4.0.

Version 4.0 will be released under an OSI-approved license. POV has not
decided on which license will be chosen at this stage. Those portions of the
codebase that are not already re-releasable under an OSI license will, prior
to the release of 4.0, be re-written so as to permit them to be released
under one. Some of the 'new to version 3.7' codebase is already able to be
released under both the old and newly-chosen license.

The current version 3.7 development codebase will be made publicly available
at around the same time as the Moray codebase. This will allow the public to
assist, if they wish, in completing version 3.7 of POV-Ray and will also
assist in the transition to 4.0. POV hopes to be able to announce the final
4.0 license choice at this time.

There is no schedule for the release of 4.0. It will primarily depend on the
amount of public assistance that is received in re-writing non-OSI-licensable
code.

Lutz and Markus have their own announcement available on their news page,
which can be found at http://www.stmuc.com/moray/menews.html.

The text of this announcement itself can be found on the POV-Ray site at
http://www.povray.org/news/moray-announcement.php.


Post a reply to this message

From: Arne Kleinophorst
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 11:06:21
Message: <45c1c9ad@news.povray.org>
Nice!

Chris Cason schrieb:
> [Followups set to povray.general]
> 
> 1 February 2007
> ---------------
> 
> The following is a joint announcement from Persistence of Vision Raytracer
> Pty. Ltd. ('POV'), Lutz Kretzschmar (Lutz) and Markus Lutz (Markus).
> 
> Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd. is pleased to advise that it has
> acquired the rights to the 3d modeller 'Moray' from Lutz and Markus. Moray is
> a Windows program specifically designed to create 3d models and scenes to be
> used with the POV-Ray raytracer, and was originally sold as trialware.
> 
> POV will, in due course, re-issue Moray under a new name and new license. The
> license has not been decided on with finality, but will be OSI-approved. [POV
> is planning to release it under the GPLv3 but this decision is subject of
> course to review of the final version of that license.]
> 
> The POV-Team is continuing development on version 3.7, which is the last
> planned major release of the current POV-Ray codebase prior to version 4.0.
> 
> Version 4.0 will be released under an OSI-approved license. POV has not
> decided on which license will be chosen at this stage. Those portions of the
> codebase that are not already re-releasable under an OSI license will, prior
> to the release of 4.0, be re-written so as to permit them to be released
> under one. Some of the 'new to version 3.7' codebase is already able to be
> released under both the old and newly-chosen license.
> 
> The current version 3.7 development codebase will be made publicly available
> at around the same time as the Moray codebase. This will allow the public to
> assist, if they wish, in completing version 3.7 of POV-Ray and will also
> assist in the transition to 4.0. POV hopes to be able to announce the final
> 4.0 license choice at this time.
> 
> There is no schedule for the release of 4.0. It will primarily depend on the
> amount of public assistance that is received in re-writing non-OSI-licensable
> code.
> 
> Lutz and Markus have their own announcement available on their news page,
> which can be found at http://www.stmuc.com/moray/menews.html.
> 
> The text of this announcement itself can be found on the POV-Ray site at
> http://www.povray.org/news/moray-announcement.php.
> 
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Marc
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 11:58:40
Message: <45c1d5f0$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> a écrit dans 
le message de news: 45c1c908$1@news.povray.org...
> [Followups set to povray.general]
>
> 1 February 2007
> ---------------
>
That's a great new indeed!
Thanks Lutz and Markus for your work.
It must be somewhat heartbreaking to let go a child but let's hope he wil 
grow healthy :-)

Marc


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 12:10:01
Message: <web.45c1d8014a1d3fd8f1cb1e660@news.povray.org>
"Marc" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:
> "Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> a écrit dans
> le message de news: 45c1c908$1@news.povray.org...
> > [Followups set to povray.general]
> >
> > 1 February 2007
> > ---------------
> >
> That's a great new indeed!
> Thanks Lutz and Markus for your work.
> It must be somewhat heartbreaking to let go a child but let's hope he wil
> grow healthy :-)
>
> Marc

I too am pleased that Moray will continue to live and be developed. I join
Marc in thanking Lutz and Markus for their work. Moray has allowed me to
use Pov-Ray despite being challenged in the code-writing department.
Selfishly I wonder if there will still be a repository for Moray modals and
textures?

PS The fish were our pleasure :-)



Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 12:59:10
Message: <45c1e41e$1@news.povray.org>
This is great news indeed!

May I repeat others in deeply thanking Lutz and Markus for their excellent 
work over the years? Without Moray, I would not be doing what I am doing 
now, and I sincerely hope and believe that will be also the case with the 
future avatars of this great program.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Warren
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 13:15:00
Message: <web.45c1e75a4a1d3fd8f729fcd00@news.povray.org>
Wow.

I (try) to be a coder but have always loved Moray for it's beauty and
elegance.

Thanks so much to Lutz and gang for their major contribution to the Pov
community.

And no more occasional guilt.

Peter SeaWA


Post a reply to this message

From: Marc
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 19:14:03
Message: <45c23bfb$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 
web.45c1d8014a1d3fd8f1cb1e660@news.povray.org...

> PS The fish were our pleasure :-)
I vote for a fishbowl with these words engraved  "So long and thanks 
for...."

Marc


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 19:54:41
Message: <pan.2007.02.01.19.54.40.619760@nospam.com>
Sweet!  Thanks to Lutz and Marcus as well as the POV-Ray team for making
this possible!

Jim


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 20:32:41
Message: <3jj4s2hsj7gmt20tegm21mqnk77c85eeo3@4ax.com>
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:14:08 +0100, "Marc" <jac### [at] wanadoofr>
wrote:

>
>"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 
>web.45c1d8014a1d3fd8f1cb1e660@news.povray.org...
>
>> PS The fish were our pleasure :-)
>I vote for a fishbowl with these words engraved  "So long and thanks 
>for...."
>
>Marc 
>
Do you want to start a tribute?

Regards
	Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Marc
Subject: Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source
Date: 1 Feb 2007 20:54:39
Message: <45c2538f@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysATaolDOTcom@> a écrit dans le message de news: 
3jj4s2hsj7gmt20tegm21mqnk77c85eeo3@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:14:08 +0100, "Marc" <jac### [at] wanadoofr>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>web.45c1d8014a1d3fd8f1cb1e660@news.povray.org...
>>
>>> PS The fish were our pleasure :-)
>>I vote for a fishbowl with these words engraved  "So long and thanks
>>for...."
>>
>>Marc
>>
> Do you want to start a tribute?

Why not... though this one is rather simple if you don't want to model 
Arthur Dent's home :-)


Marc


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.