POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Portrait orientation: 1200x1600 : Re: Portrait orientation: 1200x1600 Server Time
16 Apr 2024 00:00:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portrait orientation: 1200x1600
From: povray
Date: 19 Nov 2004 09:55:40
Message: <kgfqp09fu75h7qb8aut21osjl9pmb0kc5g@4ax.com>
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:00:05 +0100, "Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr>
wrote:

>meaning. The "traditional" landscape 4/3 is just a byproduct of computer
>screen technology, not an artistic requirement.
>
>G.

Interestingly enough, the 4:3 aspect predates computer screen
technology ... it goes back to Thomas Edison.

 http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/aspect-ratios.asp

quoted from that URL:

"Established in the late 19th century by Thomas Edison,
the 4:3 aspect ratio was officially adopted by the
Society of Motion Picture Engineers as the first film
industry aspect ratio standard. Since the standard
existed before the predominance of television, the
television industry also used the 4:3 standard when it
started broadcasting in the 1930's."

--
to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with