POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC Server Time: 6 Aug 2020 10:45:33 GMT
  Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC (Message 1 to 10 of 14)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Isaac K
Subject: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 25 Jan 2007 03:00:01
Message: <web.45b81c599d007eab650cbb530@news.povray.org>
Greetings once again everyone.

As I promised in my last message, posted on the "New Topic?" thread, I have
returned with word from a Povray administrator concerning the situation
with the IRTC.

The message I received is as follows:


>> I am concerned about the situation too, and have raised it with the [IRTC]
>> admins. One of them (who normally does the final round processing) is not
>> responding to email, so I don't really know what is up.

>> Ultimately, if the IRTC isn't going to work properly anymore, probably it
>> might be time for it to have a rest. The code developed for POVCOMP is
>> available to restructure into a new competition, if someone wants to take
>> on the work, but it would be a fair job to make it all work automatically
>> (which IMO is important). I will of course offer support for this and the
>> needed hosting.

>> At the moment all we can do is wait and see what eventuates.



So it looks like there's a certain amount of confusion taking place among
the Povray admins themselves.

Perhaps we should be patient for a while longer and see what happens
concerning the IRTC.  Though, in the meantime, it would probably be prudent
to continue developing plans for a potential successor to the IRTC, if it
should fail altogether.


Also, as I've said before, I vote for "primitives" for the Jan-Feb
pseudo-competition.  But, then, where would we send our submissions to?
Would someone be willing to accept entries (just this one time) and post
them online?

Regards,

-Isaac K


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 25 Jan 2007 09:07:54
Message: <45b8736a$1@news.povray.org>
Isaac K wrote:
> So it looks like there's a certain amount of confusion taking place among
> the Povray admins themselves.

You are confusing positions and responsibilities here: There are no "Povray
admins". There is one admin for the POV-Team, which is Chris Cason. He
operates the povray.org server. This server does also happen to host the
irtc.org site, but as you may know, hosting a site does not mean any
responsibility for its operation or content beyond supplying a working
system to run the web server software on. As such, there is no confusion
whatsoever on who administers the site. There is also *no* technical reason
on part of the server for IRTC not operating.

The IRTC admins are completely independent and different group, with none of
them actually being part of the POV-Team. The IRTC admins administer the
IRTC content and website independently.

	Thorsten, POV-Team


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 25 Jan 2007 09:17:45
Message: <45b875b9$1@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> schreef in bericht 
news:45b8736a$1@news.povray.org...

> The IRTC admins are completely independent and different group, with none 
> of
> them actually being part of the POV-Team. The IRTC admins administer the
> IRTC content and website independently.
>
>

Thanks, Thorsten!
I think that there was confusion with many of us about this (at least, I 
was). I always thought there was a close connection.
This makes me worry a bit more, though.... :-(

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Markus Altendorff
Subject: Re: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 25 Jan 2007 10:52:37
Message: <45b88bf5$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot schrieb:
> "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> schreef in bericht 
> news:45b8736a$1@news.povray.org...
> 
>> The IRTC admins are completely independent and different group, with none 
>> of
>> them actually being part of the POV-Team. The IRTC admins administer the
>> IRTC content and website independently.
>>
>>
> 
> Thanks, Thorsten!
> I think that there was confusion with many of us about this (at least, I 
> was). I always thought there was a close connection.
> This makes me worry a bit more, though.... :-(

Well, not necessarily.
This means it boils down to:
1) find out what happened to the IRTC admin, i.e. how to contact him? 
Maybe by snail mail or phone, if he's in the outback without web access? 
Honestly, if i'd be moving into a new home and my whole internet were a 
GSM mobile phone hooked up to a laptop, i'd rather not move MPEG 
megabytes over that line ;)

2) find out wether it's possible / how to help out - it's always a good 
idea to have several admins, i see that all the time over at the WWP. 
Between the three/four admins, we sometimes had two admins away on 
holiday and several hundred participants, but since the actual work has 
been reduced to holding newbies's hands for the first steps with the 
automated interface and check the uploaded files for transfer 
corruption, the worst we had was lagging a day or two. Of course, we 
don't do the the voting thing, it's more of an exhibition type website.

3) only if 2) fails due to either unwillingness (which i don't assume, 
usually it's just overworked-ness), or there has actually been a 
disruptive occurance to the admin's abilities to administrate, there's 
need to escalate - assuming that "us participants" want to keep doing a 
bi-monthly/quarterly upload-and-vote things ;).
This means: find new admin(s). Find webspace for "IRTC 2.0". Server 
name? Need participants registration option. Something with a database, 
and maybe a web frontend to upload. Automated stuff and all that...

I'm really hoping that it's just a communications problem, and we can 
get away with 2)...

Judging from the responses here, i don't think we need to worry about 
people's willingness to contribute!

-Markus


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 25 Jan 2007 13:12:28
Message: <45b8acbc$1@news.povray.org>
"Isaac K" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message 
news:web.45b81c599d007eab650cbb530@news.povray.org...

 But, then, where would we send our submissions to?
> Would someone be willing to accept entries (just this one time) and post
> them online?

    I have 100Mb's of personal web space doing nothing at the moment, so I 
could host the images.

     If everyone is in agreement with this, I'll post the address to send 
the Zips to.

    Would we still have the images capped at 250kb's? Also, I'm still not 
clear if the topic has been chosen yet?

      ~Steve~


>
> Regards,
>
> -Isaac K
>
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Isaac K
Subject: Re: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 26 Jan 2007 05:45:00
Message: <web.45b99497927634c0650cbb530@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> You are confusing positions and responsibilities here: There are no "Povray
> admins". There is one admin for the POV-Team, which is Chris Cason. He
> operates the povray.org server. This server does also happen to host the
> irtc.org site, but as you may know, hosting a site does not mean any
> responsibility for its operation or content beyond supplying a working
> system to run the web server software on. As such, there is no confusion
> whatsoever on who administers the site. There is also *no* technical reason
> on part of the server for IRTC not operating.
>
> The IRTC admins are completely independent and different group, with none of
> them actually being part of the POV-Team. The IRTC admins administer the
> IRTC content and website independently.
>
>  Thorsten, POV-Team


Mr. Froehlich,

Let me apologize for any semantic errors I may have made in my previous
language.  As must be obvious to you by now, we find ourselves in the
middle of a great confusion surrounding the relationship between the
Pov-Team and the IRTC, especially to those of us on the outside, so you
must forgive our ignorance.  I meant to cast no blame at the Pov-Team
concerning the current situation with the IRTC; I simply chose my words to
best fit the situation as I understood it.

We appreciate your clarifications, and are pleased to learn that the servers
hosting povray.org and irtc.org are running problem-free.  We all greatly
appreciate the generosity and charity of people like Chris Cason and the
members of the Pov-Team, and, of course, the IRTC administrators
themselves.  If not for all of your hard work none of the enjoyment and
challenge of Povray would be possible.

Please forgive my frustration, as I am simply trying to make heads or tails
out of the current situation, and again I thank you for your words of
insight.

-Isaac K


Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 26 Jan 2007 10:40:47
Message: <45b9daaf$1@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:45b8acbc$1@news.povray.org...
>
>    I have 100Mb's of personal web space doing nothing at the moment, so I 
> could host the images.
>
>     If everyone is in agreement with this, I'll post the address to send 
> the Zips to.
>
>    Would we still have the images capped at 250kb's? Also, I'm still not 
> clear if the topic has been chosen yet?

I'm assuming that Bruno's post in the previous thread is the one we're going 
with i.e. "This is not a chequered plane" (TINA CheP)

John
-- 
"That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential
security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of
the Official Secrets Act."  --Jim Hacker.


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 26 Jan 2007 11:11:25
Message: <45b9e1dd$1@news.povray.org>
"Doctor John" <doc### [at] linuxmailorg> wrote in message 
news:45b9daaf$1@news.povray.org...
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:45b8acbc$1@news.povray.org...

> I'm assuming that Bruno's post in the previous thread is the one we're 
> going with i.e. "This is not a chequered plane" (TINA CheP)

       Yep, that's cool. I've already started.  :o)

         ~Steve~


>
> John
> -- 
> "That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential
> security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of
> the Official Secrets Act."  --Jim Hacker.
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 26 Jan 2007 14:53:34
Message: <45ba15ee$1@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> schreef in bericht news:45b9e1dd$1@news.povray.org...
>
>       Yep, that's cool. I've already started.  :o)
>

Me too!!!

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Verm
Subject: Re: Some news from the Admins concerning the IRTC
Date: 26 Jan 2007 15:14:23
Message: <45ba1acf@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> schreef in bericht news:45b9e1dd$1@news.povray.org...
>>       Yep, that's cool. I've already started.  :o)
>>
> 
> Me too!!!
ditto - I'm already struggling with aliasing :-)


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.