POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Sept-Oct round awarded Server Time: 10 Dec 2018 06:38:25 GMT
  Sept-Oct round awarded (Message 1 to 7 of 7)  
From: David Buck
Subject: Sept-Oct round awarded
Date: 21 Nov 2009 03:48:11
Message: <4b0762fb$1@news.povray.org>
The round for Sept-Oct has been awarded.  Congratulations to the winners 
and thanks to all for your excellent entries.

David Buck


Post a reply to this message

From: John Coppens
Subject: Re: Sept-Oct round awarded
Date: 21 Nov 2009 15:36:15
Message: <20091121123614.faa769d6.john@johncoppens.com>
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:48:13 -0500
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:

> The round for Sept-Oct has been awarded.  Congratulations to the
> winners and thanks to all for your excellent entries.

Hey all.

Please take the following as constructive... Here are a few of my
observations:

- I'd like to see scores. Until now I haven't been able to find out
how to do that. Not necessarily individual scoring, but at least so I can
evaluate where the problem is. I can't even know how many even voted...

- I'm somewhat miffed at the fact I received only one comment (thanks for
that one!). I don't participate to win (though I wouldn't mind ;-), but
at least I'd like to learn! Without either, I feel little incentive to
participate.

There seems to be some improvement with the 503-error problem. I haven't
had any errors recently - thanks David.

John


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Sept-Oct round awarded
Date: 21 Nov 2009 17:44:30
Message: <4b0826fe$1@news.povray.org>
John Coppens schrieb:

> - I'm somewhat miffed at the fact I received only one comment (thanks for
> that one!). I don't participate to win (though I wouldn't mind ;-), but
> at least I'd like to learn! Without either, I feel little incentive to
> participate.


I hate to say this, but something's gone wrong again - at least with the 
comments: While I did comment several entries, I see only one single of 
them.

(Which leads me to the question: If the comments are not registered 
properly, how can we be sure that the votes are?)


Post a reply to this message

From: Robert McGregor
Subject: Re: Sept-Oct round awarded
Date: 21 Nov 2009 20:35:00
Message: <web.4b084e9cfcfbefa14726e92b0@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> John Coppens schrieb:
>
> > - I'm somewhat miffed at the fact I received only one comment (thanks for
> > that one!). I don't participate to win (though I wouldn't mind ;-), but
> > at least I'd like to learn! Without either, I feel little incentive to
> > participate.
>
>
> I hate to say this, but something's gone wrong again - at least with the
> comments: While I did comment several entries, I see only one single of
> them.

I agree, I made pretty thorough comments on each entry, yet none of them are
apprearing, so John you probably got lots of comments...

Regarding the texturing comment that I got - I agree that the big tank was
lacking in texture and some things were a bit too new looking, but those were
just "ran out of time" issues.

It's very satisfying to get another first place, so thanks everyone! I worked
some really long hours trying to get that shot done in time :)

Cheers,
Rob


Post a reply to this message

From: s day
Subject: Re: Sept-Oct round awarded
Date: 21 Nov 2009 21:35:01
Message: <web.4b085c60fcfbefa13eeb11d70@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> John Coppens schrieb:
>
> > - I'm somewhat miffed at the fact I received only one comment (thanks for
> > that one!). I don't participate to win (though I wouldn't mind ;-), but
> > at least I'd like to learn! Without either, I feel little incentive to
> > participate.
>
>
It does look like another problem, I commented on every image and the first few
I have checked are not displaying any of the comments from me.


Post a reply to this message

From: David Buck
Subject: Re: Sept-Oct round awarded
Date: 22 Nov 2009 22:26:21
Message: <4b09ba8d@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> John Coppens schrieb:
> 
>> - I'm somewhat miffed at the fact I received only one comment (thanks for
>> that one!). I don't participate to win (though I wouldn't mind ;-), but
>> at least I'd like to learn! Without either, I feel little incentive to
>> participate.
> 
> 
> I hate to say this, but something's gone wrong again - at least with the 
> comments: While I did comment several entries, I see only one single of 
> them.
> 
> (Which leads me to the question: If the comments are not registered 
> properly, how can we be sure that the votes are?)

Yes, something is wrong.  This time I do have the original data I can 
use to correct the problem.

There's a bug in a base class library I'm using during the voting 
process.  Last month I put in a work-around for the problem but it turns 
out the workaround still experiences the problem.  I will work at a 
better fix for the problem.

Once the problem is fixed,  I'll re-apply the voting changes which 
should make all the comments appear.  As clipka suggested, it may change 
the voting results as well. I'll check that out once I fix the problem. 
  If there are changes, I may have to re-do the awards for that round. 
This evening, I'll try to revert the awarding to appear as if the round 
wasn't awarded yet.  After the fix, I'll re-run the awarding process.

David


Post a reply to this message

From: David Buck
Subject: Re: Sept-Oct round awarded
Date: 22 Nov 2009 22:28:04
Message: <4b09baf4$1@news.povray.org>
John Coppens wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:48:13 -0500
> David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> 
>> The round for Sept-Oct has been awarded.  Congratulations to the
>> winners and thanks to all for your excellent entries.
> 
> Hey all.
> 
> Please take the following as constructive... Here are a few of my
> observations:
> 
> - I'd like to see scores. Until now I haven't been able to find out
> how to do that. Not necessarily individual scoring, but at least so I can
> evaluate where the problem is. I can't even know how many even voted...
> 
> - I'm somewhat miffed at the fact I received only one comment (thanks for
> that one!). I don't participate to win (though I wouldn't mind ;-), but
> at least I'd like to learn! Without either, I feel little incentive to
> participate.
> 
> There seems to be some improvement with the 503-error problem. I haven't
> had any errors recently - thanks David.
> 
> John

When I fix the problem with the voting, I'll also make a change to allow 
everyone to see the average score and number of votes each entry had in 
the competition.

David


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.