POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Steampunk? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 16:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Steampunk? (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Hildur K
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 2 Sep 2009 10:45:00
Message: <web.4a9e84185559dd8a1ea0c8f70@news.povray.org>
"Hildur K." <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> a coffee drink.

o.k. I have checked it out. Nice :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Tek
Date: 2 Sep 2009 16:04:40
Message: <4a9ecfd8$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote in message

> Prescription of a certain style would be ok as well IMO.

To be honest I'd probably be complaining if it was just "steampunk".

As Warp said, it's possible to do a "meta" topic for the image. But even
then I think it's too restricting. Steampunk just isn't a term that's open
to interpretation. You either render a scene in that style, or a scene
reflecting/mocking the steampunk sub-culture, or a stupid pun on "steam" and
"punk". I realise I'm being cynical but I honestly can't see any other
interpretation and none of those motivate me.

Still, I can see my opinion is not shared by most here, so I'll skip this
topic and wish you all luck with your entries. Perhaps when I see the
finished images I'll change my mind!

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message

Tek <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> As Warp said, it's possible to do a "meta" topic for the image. But even
> then I think it's too restricting. Steampunk just isn't a term that's open
> to interpretation. You either render a scene in that style, or a scene
> reflecting/mocking the steampunk sub-culture, or a stupid pun on "steam" and
> "punk". I realise I'm being cynical but I honestly can't see any other
> interpretation and none of those motivate me.

  I think the same arguments could be applied to many of the past IRTC
topics...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Tek <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
>> As Warp said, it's possible to do a "meta" topic for the image. But even
>> then I think it's too restricting. Steampunk just isn't a term that's
>> open
>> to interpretation. You either render a scene in that style, or a scene
>> reflecting/mocking the steampunk sub-culture, or a stupid pun on "steam"
>> and
>> "punk". I realise I'm being cynical but I honestly can't see any other
>> interpretation and none of those motivate me.
>
>  I think the same arguments could be applied to many of the past IRTC
> topics...

Yeah sorry about that, I'm tired. I thought about editing out that rant and
just leaving it as a polite message, but my geek-rage got the better of me
:)

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com