POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Steampunk? Server Time: 10 Dec 2018 07:20:35 GMT
  Steampunk? (Message 1 to 10 of 19)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Tek
Subject: Steampunk?
Date: 1 Sep 2009 20:04:47
Message: <4a9d7e5f$1@news.povray.org>
I have 2 big problems with the new topic: Time (Steampunked)

Firstly, and perhaps undermining any hope of a rational argument, I do not 
like steam punk. As I see it this is a fundamental problem with it as an 
IRTC topic: you are choosing the aesthetic I must use.

Secondly, would Jules Vern's time machine count as steampunk? I mean it 
predates the whole concept, and was set in victorian times so it was 
designed that way out of necessity rather than style. And yet it has the 
correct aesthetic (to the best of my understanding) and it is a time 
machine.

This use of a specific style has not occured with any previous topic. The 
closest example I can find is "minimalism" which would at first glance 
appear to dictate the aesthetic of the image, but as the winning entry 
showed there was no reason to take that as dictating the style of scene. I 
cannot see any such broad interpretations for steam punk.

Seriously, I don't like to cause a fuss, but I really think this topic is a 
bad idea.

-- 
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 1 Sep 2009 20:36:21
Message: <4a9d85c5@news.povray.org>
Tek <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> I have 2 big problems with the new topic: Time (Steampunked)

  Your entry will not be rejected if it doesn't strictly adhere to the
current topic. It's up to the voters to decide the merits of your image.

  You could, perhaps, do something more imaginative than simply adhering
to the topic. The message of your image could, for example, be more at a
metalevel. For instance, it could be some kind of protest against the
topic in question. If done in good taste and in a clever way, in a way
that shows creativity and cleverness, it may even gain favorable votes.

  Just an idea.

-- 
                                                          - Warp


Post a reply to this message

From: Ive
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 1 Sep 2009 20:38:21
Message: <4a9d863d$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> would Jules Vern's time machine

I'm pretty sure Jules Verne did never write a time traveling story.
H. G. Wells did.

>count as steampunk?

Sure.

-Ive


Post a reply to this message

From: Shay
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 1 Sep 2009 21:38:33
Message: <4a9d9459$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:

> Firstly, and perhaps undermining any hope of a rational argument, I do not 
> like steam punk. As I see it this is a fundamental problem with it as an 
> IRTC topic: you are choosing the aesthetic I must use.

Agree, it's boring. Mostly because people had timepieces in the 19th 
century which were a lot more interesting for the modern technology they 
*didn't* use.

Steampunk would be OK on its own as Minimalism was, but "subject(style)" 
is too limiting for a topic, IMO.

  -Shay


Post a reply to this message

From: P Brewer
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 2 Sep 2009 00:00:00
Message: <web.4a9db4fe5559dd8a4d658db50@news.povray.org>
I didn't know what steampunk was (after some searching, now I do), but looking
at the google image search pages on it get my creative juices flowing. I will
definitely need to participate this round, and probably wouldn't have without
such an arguably cool topic.


Post a reply to this message

From: Tek
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 2 Sep 2009 00:50:13
Message: <4a9dc145$1@news.povray.org>
"Ive" <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> wrote in message 
news:4a9d863d$1@news.povray.org...
> Tek wrote:
>> would Jules Vern's time machine
>
> I'm pretty sure Jules Verne did never write a time traveling story.
> H. G. Wells did.

Doh! I should have googled that :)

-- 
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 2 Sep 2009 03:16:52
Message: <4a9de3a4$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> I have 2 big problems with the new topic: Time (Steampunked)
> 
> Firstly, and perhaps undermining any hope of a rational argument, I do not 
> like steam punk. 

I like your honesty though.


As I see it this is a fundamental problem with it as an
> IRTC topic: you are choosing the aesthetic I must use.
> 

A succinct point.

But I think Warp's counter makes sense.  The topic can be merely the 
grain of sand to the oyster.  We are all clever enough here by half, 
let's face it, we can 'go meta' on a topic without loosing a beat.


> This use of a specific style has not occured with any previous topic. The 
> closest example I can find is "minimalism" which would at first glance 
> appear to dictate the aesthetic of the image, but as the winning entry 
> showed there was no reason to take that as dictating the style of scene. 

Exactly. Interpretations of a topic morph in many directions..

As for precedent, personally I don't fear a slippery slope in this regard.


I think you protest is good to consider but I feel you are over-reacting.

I view such a topic as a chance to visit, (or comment on,) a style
I wouldn't ordinarily come anywhere near.

-Jim


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 2 Sep 2009 03:30:46
Message: <4a9de6e6@news.povray.org>
P Brewer wrote:
> I didn't know what steampunk was (after some searching, now I do), but looking
> at the google image search pages on it get my creative juices flowing. I will
> definitely need to participate this round, and probably wouldn't have without
> such an arguably cool topic.
> 
> 
Well I havn't done any googling yet but I am already picturing 
fossilized steam pistons.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 2 Sep 2009 04:28:17
Message: <4a9df461$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter schrieb:
> I view such a topic as a chance to visit, (or comment on,) a style
> I wouldn't ordinarily come anywhere near.

I personally do agree with Tek:

Prescription of a certain topic is ok.

Prescription of a certain style would be ok as well IMO.

Prescription of a certain topic /and/ style is a bit too limiting IMO.

Just my cents.


Post a reply to this message

From: Hildur K 
Subject: Re: Steampunk?
Date: 2 Sep 2009 14:35:00
Message: <web.4a9e81bb5559dd8a1ea0c8f70@news.povray.org>
I don´t even know what/who/when/why Steampunk is... sounds like a nice name for
a coffee drink.


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.