POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Ratings for "In the Wilderness" stills round Server Time: 9 Dec 2018 21:14:55 GMT
  Ratings for "In the Wilderness" stills round (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: William Tracy
Subject: Ratings for "In the Wilderness" stills round
Date: 25 Feb 2008 06:10:22
Message: <47c25bce$1@news.povray.org>
Since I can't get the system to acknowledge my ratings, I thought I
would share them here for now:

Lost in January

Artistic 15
Concept 10
Technical 10

I would have liked to see more from the already-fallen snow.
Specifically, I don’t see any snow on the tree branches, and the snow on
the ground is a little too perfectly flat. Gilles Tran’s MakeSnow would
have helped out here a lot. The shadows in the foreground also suffer
from the low quality settings on the focal blur.

The falling snow takes up the slack, though. I can’t tell if you are
simply using translucent spheres, or actual media, but the effect works
well. Excellent use of fog, as well.

Trapped Wilderness

Artistic 15
Concept 20
Technical 10

I like the concept here. My main criticism is the lack of details in
this image. I know this image was turned in at least a full week before
the deadline—it probably could have benefited from more time adding
little touches. The radiosity looks like it could stand to have the
quality bumped up, too.

Barren

Artistic 18
Concept 10
Technical 5

The photographic clouds help this as an image—but in my mind hurt it as
a raytracing competition entry. The rocks and the figure are very well
done. The fog seems a bit heavy, though.

Serenity ... In the Wilderness

Artistic 10
Concept 10
Technical 10

In general, I like what I see here. The shadows seem much too hash, though.

The Border of the Shire

Artistic 10
Concept 10
Technical 10

I like the low-growing plants in this image. The trees bother me a
bit—they feel much too flat, especially the foliage. The image feels
like it could be improved with radiosity, but looking at your render
time, that doesn’t seem practical

Wilderness Reborn

Artistic 20
Concept 15
Technical 20

This is the one image in this round that really makes me go “wow.”
Wonderful use of the ivy generator.

Unfortunately, the bare ground is a bit disappointing. I would expect it
to be swallowed up by plants long before the ivy starts attacking the
rockwork. More bushes are in order here.

While I’m complaining, the sky seems much too bright and clear for the
level of fog you have.

That said, the stone texture in this image is amazing. After reading
you’re description, my curiosity is piqued—you used both Zbrush and
Wings3D. Would you care to comment on how those programs compare, and
how you decided on which one you used for each part?

Lost Faith

Artistic 20
Concept 5
Technical 10

Another wonderful image—very nice modeling.

Far Out

Artistic 18
Concept 18
Technical 10

No doubt some people will complain that this image looks amateurish, but
I like it. It is clear and uncluttered, with clean shapes. The planet in
the upper-right corner bothers me, though—the rough texture doesn’t feel
at home with the rest of the picture.

Fractal Wilderness

Artistic 15
Concept 18
Technical 10

Ouch—the jpeg compression did a number on this image, unfortunately.
That aside, the biggest problem I have is the sky—I keep thinking that I
am looking at a body of water. Maybe go for a lighter shade of blue, and
add some fractal clouds?

Those issues aside, this is a real fun image.

--
William Tracy
afi### [at] gmailcom -- wtr### [at] calpolyedu

Live by the code, die by the code.

Post a reply to this message