POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Pseudo IRTC - TINA CHeP Entries Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:34:23 EDT (-0400)
  Pseudo IRTC - TINA CHeP Entries (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Pseudo IRTC - TINA CHeP Entries
Date: 4 Mar 2007 08:05:00
Message: <web.45eac326e18621b9c8b798330@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> I'm glad you could give Bruno's piece the attention it deserves.  I kind
> of ran out of gas.
To tell the truth, so did I. I had to come back to it the next day...

From: John Coppens
Date: 4 Mar 2007 09:07:19
Message: <20070304110717.3ea2f32c.john@johncoppens.com>
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:49:12 -0000
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

>    Here you can view the entries for the Pseudo IRTC Stills topic -
> TINA CHeP (This Is Not A CHeckered Plane):
>
>      http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/3dextra/

Hey guys.

Congrats for the initiative. Few participants? I just happened to look (a
few days ago) to the news list. If I'd know before, I might even have
participated :-(

Today the tiscali site have error 403 - no images uploaded.

John

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 4 Mar 2007 09:30:47
Message: <45ead817@news.povray.org>
"John Coppens" <joh### [at] johncoppenscom> wrote in message
news:200### [at] johncoppenscom...

> Hey guys.
>
> Congrats for the initiative. Few participants? I just happened to look (a
> few days ago) to the news list. If I'd know before, I might even have
> participated :-(

   Well, It's continuing in the same vein as the IRTC, and the topic for
March/April is 'Before and After'.

> Today the tiscali site have error 403 - no images uploaded.

      Yes, sorry about that, I've just been playing with the site, and it's
back up as it was now.

      ~Steve~

> John

Post a reply to this message

From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 4 Mar 2007 10:35:01
Message: <web.45eae6e1e18621b9ebca0d630@news.povray.org>
Hello all!

I am quite busy with my kids this week-end, and I haven't finished my
comments yet. However, I took time to read yours. Lot of talents and skill
for this 'round'.

Concerning myself, it seems people would like to see a larger and better lit
image. Here it is p.b.i (with no room media)! I still consider this image as
being not 100% finished (some more stuff to add to the mess, basic
landscape, clouds and a dawn outsite lighting).

      See you soon!

Post a reply to this message

From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 5 Mar 2007 08:25:01
Message: <web.45ec19a3e18621b9f5fba6ef0@news.povray.org>
My comments.

'This is a knot, checkered, on a plane' by Bill Pragnell
Good humour for the title and the subject, playing with words. I like to
play with the language. Good interpretation! Bill's knots are famous now,
and here is another application. I made a complex scene, Bill made simple
yet effective (though the tile-placement algo is not that simple and
requires some programming skills)! Congrats.

'TINA CheP's evolution' by Malcolm Findlay
From RSOCP to life! From cold metal and still checkered plane to living
organism (clouds included)! This is a very good interpretation, that
involves movement by definition.
The 3 ellipsis dots could be replaced by (1) something like pinocchio, (2) a
pre-human body, (3) TINA herself ... It can join somewhere next round's
theme "before and after".

'The Perils of Tina' by Thomas de Groot
Where experience speaks ... The checkered plane is a maze! How to get out? I
like the originality of the idea. Thomas' technicity serves the concept, not
the inverse! Much life in the 3 characters' attitude, mostly the guy on the
left (face, arms, hands, fingers ...). The walking man at the background
makes me imagine a scenario: when trapped in the maze, people react and try
to escape, making conflictuous discussions, then, after a while, you have
the solution of resignation and/or madness. This image appears clearly like
an instant-snapshot. I also like the eye-blink to the IRTC admins ... Well
done Thomas!

'tc2' by Verm
A Goban is not a checkered plane. What a curiosity for chess pieces! No
problem for the knight (quite diffucult to model), I did not notice it
wasn't there! Good lighting. It is quite easy to 'anthropomophize' the
pieces, and I second Jim in that.

'Crash' by Andrey K.
Funny idea. I wish I could do that 'just for fun', especially the brush and
its marks on the paper! Bad luck the painter put the red paint down, he was
so close to the end!

'Tina entertains the boys at the POV Club' by Steve Paget
The dancing floor at POV club could certainly not be a checkered plane.
Maybe there is a spinning reflective faceted sphere on the ceiling! Nice
modeling for the floor. Tina's attitude is not 'hot' at all. Using DAZ's
Victoria character as Tina's human incarnation was a good idea.
Technically, I think the lighting was not as simple as it might appear at
first look ... Because it looks obvious.

'2mice ' by Steve Shelby
No checkered plane. No checkered aeroplane either! Made me laugh. Took me a
few seconds to understood the relationship with the fly. The mices are
cute, though they are made basic. The fly is very well done! Few objects,
but nice interpretation! Deserves to go further with the texture/material
of the cheese.

'HERE'S LOOKING AT HUES, KID' by Michael Chelmecki
A checkered world but this is not a checkered aeroplane! Good idea and
another play with words. Excellent modelling of the plane, mainly the
detailed wheels, and (of course) very nice texture! Companies can take
example from it. There also could be checkered clouds ...

'Final' by Jim Charter
I can't find words to comment Jim's technique. A checkered character with
checkered ... shadow! Bluffing image! My hat off! I'll have a close look to
the source ...

'TINA CheP spheres' by Malcolm Findlay
I like the simplicity and the instanciation of the reverse concept of RSOCP,
wich could be CSORP. Very eye-pleasant variations of the yellow color.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Mar 2007 09:48:28
Message: <45ec2dbc$1@news.povray.org>
Forgive me that I have not yet sent in my comments! Some RL matters are in
the way. But I shall comment, although, tipically, I shall do that in an
unual way!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 5 Mar 2007 19:01:33
Message: <45ecaf5d$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
>

>> Steve's "Tina entertains..."
>>

>> mid-eighties Russian computer-gamey ;-) but I have to say, I didn't
>> immediately notice that Tina is completely naked -
>
> The little strumpet!!!  I'd thought the leaves in her hair was a printed
> top.

      LOL!    :)

       Well, I thought I'd enter a little risque humour into a 3d image
scene Jim - and it worked! (I think). Yes, Tina is wearing nothing but a
rose held in her mouth, and a garter on her leg, teasing the PoV-boys as she
knows how best to do it. (She's a Dancer!)   ;)

  Anyway, I enjoyed making this scene, and I thank you (ALL) for your
constructive comments - really much appreciated.

    (And just like our friend Thomas, my comments coming soon).

       ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: Verm
Date: 9 Mar 2007 11:19:29
Message: <45f18911$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
>   Good morning IRTCers!
>
>    Here you can view the entries for the Pseudo IRTC Stills topic - TINA
> CHeP (This Is Not A CHeckered Plane):
>
>      http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/3dextra/
Many thanks for hosting and organising this.

Finally got a chance to try to comment.
I was particularly struck by the wide variety of styles of the images.

I think my favourite images were Steve Shelby's mice - you just can't go
wrong with cute cartoon animals and bad puns, and Bill Pragnell's knot,
but I liked all of the others too.
--
Malcolm's "Evolution of TINA CheP" : I liked the concept and the
simple(ish) setting works nicely. I'd almost have been tempted to give

I ran out of time with both the image and the description as I was away
for then end of Feb and beginning of March.

The scene was composed and designed from a player's point of view
sitting behind the board locked in an underground vault with someone
coming in from a tunnel to the left but the composition didn't work.

I asked a colleague's opinion and his response was "well if I was
photographing that scene...." so I moved the camera half a dozen times
until we ended up with the scene shown. He's an amateur photographer and
said he enjoyed the process of "taking pictures without a camera" :-)

I'm glad you liked the concept and amused it worked out nicely from the
last minute change of viewpoint.

The textures still need work: I think the board needs blurred
reflections and although I'm pleased I got my procedural brick patterns
to work they're currently far too clean looking for an old brick vault.

The knight's hiding behind the king. (I made a nice knight but he's a
totally different style to the other pieces.)

As I said the end result wasn't stunning but I had fun learnt and
finished my first purely imaginary scene, so thanks again for running
the round.
--
Steve's "Tina entertains..." : Tsk Tsk, you're definately showing her in
a bad light :- ).
--
Mike's "Here's looking at hues, kid" : Nice scene, very nice modelling
and very on topic.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 9 Mar 2007 12:20:00
Message: <web.45f196c7e18621b9f5fba6ef0@news.povray.org>
Verm <pov### [at] thirteeendynucom> wrote:
> [...]
> a bad light :- ).
> --
> Mike's "Here's looking at hues, kid" : Nice scene, very nice modelling
> and very on topic.
> --
> Jim's "This is not a checkered plane" : I was intrigued and almost
> frustrated wanting to see through the chequers to the figures :-)
> --
> Malcolm's TC Spheres : retro image with nice ripples.
> --
> Bruno's "Povlab" : obviously far better in the big format in pbi (or
> even in the large format scaled down to avoid the aliasing) and then
> there's so much to look at. One thing ... would refraction have made the
> light sabre case look more glass like? (I know the scene was only just
> finished in time and was very slow to render but I was just wondering...)

Thanks for your comments.

To answer your question: there actually IS refraction in the lightsaber
case, as well as a small amount of bump. They were visible when I modelled
the case in a separate scene (no rad), but almost not visible in the final
scene. It took long to render because of the room media. The 1280*1024
version (no media) takes about 8-10 hours on a Athlon 3000+ depending on
the rad settings.

    Bruno

BTW: I rendered another version, with better lighting (darker out side, more
influenced by inner objects, mainly the 'TINA' neon). Should I dare once
again post it here?

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 10 Mar 2007 09:37:56
Message: <45f2c2c4$1@news.povray.org>
I finally have some time to write a few words. I feel kind of like an
outsider, since I never wrote in during the whole discussion about what to
do about IRTC, but I was reading with interest the whole time. It's been
over a year since I last entered, and I wasn't interested this time until
this new idea was sprouted (TINA CHeP). It allowed me to make something
simple ( I don't like making complicated scenes, and it seems that the ones
that win are usually the most complicated). My 2mice entry was just sort of
a long-term stream of conciousness exercise, and was not intended to have
anything even slightly serious to say. I appreciate all of your comments
about it.
This topic left so much room for interpretation, the variety in the 11
entries is quite amazing. I don't have enough time to write about all of
them at length, like some of you have.
I really like Andrey's for the way he did the rough-looking painted squares.
I had to read the txt to find out how it was done. So simple, but so
effective.
I was immediately struck by Mike C's image there next to mine, using the
same pun of the plane. It made me laugh.
Bill's Knot is impressive technically, and I love the pun it the title.
Steve's Tina...wow! how do I join the POV Club? The floor and the lighting
are really cool. Side note: I'm so old, the last time I was in such an
establishment, pole dancing hadn't been invented yet.
Malcolm, Thomas, Verm, Jim, Bruno, I liked all of your entries, too. I just
don't have the time to comment on all of them individually.
Steve Shelby
http://www.shelbyvision.com
Vegetarians
kill plants, but cannibals are
humantarians.

"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:45e69395$2@news.povray.org...
>  Good morning IRTCers!
>
>   Here you can view the entries for the Pseudo IRTC Stills topic - TINA
> CHeP (This Is Not A CHeckered Plane):
>
>     http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/3dextra/
>
>    There are no losers in this stand-in round, only winners. (Hey, and
> that includes me! Cool!)  ;)
>
>     Thanks to those that entered, they are all great images.
>
>       Enjoy!  :o)
>
>      ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>