POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Out of place Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Out of place (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Roberto Amorim
Subject: Re: Out of place
Date: 21 Jan 2005 08:56:14
Message: <41f109fe@news.povray.org>
> Over the months, never having submitted to IRTC, i've determined it's more
> fun to come up with ideas for images for the topic than it is to create
it.
> I usually make a bunch of sketches and then they site around my desk for a
> couple weeks :/
>
> It's also more fun to view all of the images you guys submit :)
>
> ...still hoping to submit one day.

I hear you, brother. Same here. :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 21 Jan 2005 11:49:07
Message: <41f13283$1@news.povray.org>
Ross wrote:

> Over the months, never having submitted to IRTC, i've determined it's more
> fun to come up with ideas for images for the topic than it is to create it.
> I usually make a bunch of sketches and then they site around my desk for a
> couple weeks :/

Sketching is a good start.  Before I finally made my first entry I went
for maybe four or five rounds where I got all excited by the topic and
began scenes which I could never complete by the deadline.  It was in a
way the most exciting time but extremely frustrating.  When I finally
managed to stagger over the finish line with my first entry I was very
excited to finally have posted something.  Looking back I wish I'd been
more patient and systematically acquired necessay skills before I posted
an entry.  But that does require making many images that never see the
light of day, which can be very frustrating.  That is because there is
really no way to simulate the demands of pulling together a whole scene,
acquire skills, but then you have to take a real stab at an entry to see
how these skills come into play. All the time you take your real stab at
it you need be prepared to judge in the end whether the result is worth
posting.  It's that superego  editing role that I am abysmal at.  Once I
put a certain amount of effort into a scene, I just publish the damned
thing usually to my regret later.:|

> It's also more fun to view all of the images you guys submit :)

Do you vote on them?

> ...still hoping to submit one day.

Two ideas that I got from Jaime Vives Piqueres keep me sane.  He often
says something to the effect that it's all "just having fun", and also
words to the effect that he pays attention too what he can actually
accomplish.

Post a reply to this message