POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Floyd Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:03:39 EDT (-0400)
  Floyd (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Skip Talbot
Subject: Floyd
Date: 2 Sep 2004 17:21:37
Message: <41378ee1$1@news.povray.org>
What do you guys think about the entry, Floyd.  It looks like a photograph
to me, and while this usually is a high praise, I think it might actually be
a photograph.  The water definitely looks like it could come out of POV-Ray
but together with the flamingo and the reflections, I have my doubts.
Adding to my suspicions is the lack of description in the text file and no
source.  The author claims its POV but he's going to take a hit on scoring
simply because of the lack of explanation.  Any thoughts on this?

Skip

Post a reply to this message

There are too many renderer artifacts for it to be a photograph.  Look
at the aliasing around the edge of the flamingo and in the waves closer
to the horizon.  Notice that there are no secondary ripples in the water
around the legs of the flamingo.  Note that the underside of the
flamingo doesn't appear to be lit by the reflection of the light from
the water.

It's certainly is a very nice render, though it could be made better if
it used better AA settings, a slightly more complicated water normal
pattern, and photons.

Peter D.

Skip Talbot wrote:
> What do you guys think about the entry, Floyd.  It looks like a photograph
> to me, and while this usually is a high praise, I think it might actually be
> a photograph.  The water definitely looks like it could come out of POV-Ray
> but together with the flamingo and the reflections, I have my doubts.
> Adding to my suspicions is the lack of description in the text file and no
> source.  The author claims its POV but he's going to take a hit on scoring
> simply because of the lack of explanation.  Any thoughts on this?
>
> Skip

Post a reply to this message