POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : More decay Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:01:57 EDT (-0400)
  More decay (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: gonzo
Subject: More decay
Date: 8 Dec 2003 01:55:18
Message: <3fd42056@news.povray.org>
Forgotten neighborhood:  This was my #2 pick.  Hildur does a great job,
especially on the radiosity.  Very natural look to the shadows.  Good detail
in the broken windows & the rusting railings.  My only complaint was as I
noted in my comment, that the ground looked too clean.

Crescent:  Original concept.  Breathtaking image.  The sense of motion is
explosive, and the highly detailed surface contrasts with the motion to
create a convincing freeze frame of violence in action.  The camera
gridlines in the corners hint of an involved observer, both urgent and
spontaneous.

One more day: A very humanistic perspective on the topic. The rich immersive
textures, the polished relections in the clock and pills, and the optical
distortion of the glasses, the water glass and the teeth all draw the viewer
into a tactile exploration of the scene.  Great job Txemi.

Spoiled earth:  A serious take on the topic, very well done.  Lighting &
texturing are excellent.  Leaves me with a serious isosurface envy...

Old barn:  Good job all around.  The feel of musty disuse is there.  Car
looks great.  Top marks for concept, this is what I was expecting to see
more of in the round.

Puddle:  This image has some excellent elements, particularly the rocks, but
doesn't quite come together for me.  The water could be "wetter" and I think
the camera angle and lighting could be better arranged to give more of a wet
look to the leaves, which would strengthen the sense of decay.

Failed Dream:  Good  lighting & texturing. Didn't immediately make me think
"Bryce".  The black & white render adds a sense of starkness & age that
works well with the topic.

Scottish ruins:  A lovely image, although didn't really say anything to me.
Are ruin and decay the same thing?  These are ruins, but the decay is
static...   Looks more like a postcard.  Good postcard though.

Post a reply to this message

> Forgotten neighborhood:  This was my #2 pick.  Hildur does a great job,
> especially on the radiosity.  Very natural look to the shadows.  Good detail
> in the broken windows & the rusting railings.  My only complaint was as I
> noted in my comment, that the ground looked too clean.

Technically a very caring image.  I sensed that the topic was more or
less a point of departure.  It was the caring achievement of textures in
a realistic scene that was mostly the point.  Decay here is present in
everyday weathering and deterioration.  The overcast sky and cool
lighting gives a slightly bleak feel but the neighbourhood actually
looks fairly inviting.  The surfaces seem to smolder in the light,
really are beautifully realized, gorgeous.

> Crescent:  Original concept.  Breathtaking image.  The sense of motion is
> explosive, and the highly detailed surface contrasts with the motion to
> create a convincing freeze frame of violence in action.  The camera
> gridlines in the corners hint of an involved observer, both urgent and
> spontaneous.

Interesting, I didn't give much attention to this one but I have to
agree with you.  I do like the silvery effects.  Stylistic effects of
"The Matrix"?
> One more day: A very humanistic perspective on the topic. The rich immersive
> textures, the polished relections in the clock and pills, and the optical
> distortion of the glasses, the water glass and the teeth all draw the viewer
> into a tactile exploration of the scene.  Great job Txemi.

"Humanistic", that says it well.  I am first drawn to the light, the
technical accomplishment in achieving the contrast between the diffuse
glow of yellow and the direct light of the bulb.  The golden light is
cloying, sets the atmosphere, suggesting the yellow palour of age.
Corrosive, like the light in many Vuillard paintings. The aging
wallpaper with its overwrought pattern and heavy color is also
reminiscent of Vuillard. (Whose work is often associated with themes of
ilness and decay). http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/collections/84_4.html
There is also something emotive about the mudane collection of materials
depicted. Can't quite put my finger on it, water, plastic, paper,
veneer, and those teeth, flesh but not flesh. It suggests how odd
ordinary materials can seem when one contemplates mortality.
> Spoiled earth:  A serious take on the topic, very well done.  Lighting &
> texturing are excellent.  Leaves me with a serious isosurface envy...

It makes a very clever juxtaposition, and a strong statement.  Has an
cynical, iconic quality, reflecting its significance with ever expanding
connections.  "Humanity" made a similarily clever take on pollution as
decay.
> Old barn:  Good job all around.  The feel of musty disuse is there.  Car
> looks great.  Top marks for concept, this is what I was expecting to see
> more of in the round.
Yes a very accomplished study, lots of nicely realized details and
texturing. There is a real sense disintegration with rusted parts fallen
about. I think in an unexpected way, the cheery field in the distance
accents the stagnant atmosphere of the shed with its cobwebs and
decomposing relic.

> Puddle:  This image has some excellent elements, particularly the rocks, but
> doesn't quite come together for me.  The water could be "wetter" and I think
> the camera angle and lighting could be better arranged to give more of a wet
> look to the leaves, which would strengthen the sense of decay.
A startling, vivid image, but not really the image of decay.  Too
optimistic.  The sense of light off the texture of the stones is
stupifyingly real.  The leaf gives vivid support.  It is almost worth
reworking the water and other elements to bring them up to the same
quality. Would make a knockout image.  Who cares about the theme.

> Failed Dream:  Good  lighting & texturing. Didn't immediately make me think
> "Bryce".  The black & white render adds a sense of starkness & age that
> works well with the topic.
I thought this one was powerful. Beautifully composed. Really suggested
decay to me.  As you say, the starkness.  The sudden crisp texture of
the wall set against the tepid, grey sky. Like a forgotten monument or
gravestone. The darkened casements are foreboding. There is something
particularly forlorn and disconcerting about the twisted, hanging
ironwork; something particularily mocking about this tower, with its
modest decorations and fancyful accessories, made absurd with the
passing of time.  This is decay talking of death.

> Scottish ruins:  A lovely image, although didn't really say anything to me.
> Are ruin and decay the same thing?  These are ruins, but the decay is
> static...   Looks more like a postcard.  Good postcard though.

I agree.  It is a visually stunning picture, the contrast gives it a lot
of density.  And the different elements carry well, the rock textures,
foliage, sky.  The light could have possible metaphysical meaning given
the theme.  It is a ruin, and an stark, overgrown one at that. It shows
some disarray, but it lacks the sense of variety, complication, and
accumulation, associated with the onset of decay.

Lizard:  I also thought this was a pretty stunning image.  The sheer
visual impact of the rock texture is overwhelming, and its verity to the
random structure of natural materials is remarkable.  All of this
touches on the subject, of course, but in a way the picture seems more
about the violence and chaos of nature.  The opening in the ground
suggests an open wound even as it demonstrates a process of breakdown
and decay.

Exponential Decay:  I relatively simple picture but I enjoyed the take
on the topic: the conceit of having the profile of the decaying wall
take the shape of an exponential curve.  The barren, silhouetted trees
are appropriate to the general feel of desolation.  And the small scale
format works well too.

Decay:  Though it's a small step behind the leaders technically, I also
enjoyed this picture for its strange light, whacky, foreshortened
composition, and chaotic, almost exuberant celebration of decay.

Etang:  Brings a whimsical quality to the concept.  The malodorous air,
the sense of poison, misuse, contamination, and ruin, is offset by the
storybook architecture and hobbit ladders.

-Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Slone
Date: 9 Dec 2003 03:31:39
Message: <3FD537BD.53D7@hiwaay.net>
I also liked Forgotten neighborhood. I thought Old barn was impressive,
and I was disappointed there weren't more of those type images. I'm big
on realism and technical achievement and those two were near the top in
both.

While not technically perfect, I rated the Champ highly and was
surprised it scored out of the top ten; maybe its concept was not direct
enough for some people, or others rate realism even more highly than I
do. I thought some of the details were impressive and Ron always puts a
lot of thought into the concept.

A lot of nice "concept" or poster images this round that showed a lot of
creativity and took the concept into directions I hadn't expected; a
very entertaining collection. It was hurt a bit by all the
slapped-together skeleton images (I'm not saying they shouldn't have
entered). Still, it's impressive to see what people can create in less
than two months.

-Renderdog

Post a reply to this message

From: gonzo
Date: 10 Dec 2003 19:10:01
Message: <web.3fd7b578dbad4c4fa0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Mark Slone wrote:
>I also liked Forgotten neighborhood. I thought Old barn was impressive,
>and I was disappointed there weren't more of those type images. I'm big
>on realism and technical achievement and those two were near the top in
>both.

Yes, and having tried Blender a few times, and found it not-at-all user
friendly, I'm always impressed when someone can produce something of
quality like Old Barn with it.

>While not technically perfect, I rated the Champ highly and was
>surprised it scored out of the top ten; maybe its concept was not direct
>enough for some people, or others rate realism even more highly than I
>do. I thought some of the details were impressive and Ron always puts a
>lot of thought into the concept.

Well, I hoped it would do a bit better than it did, but wasn't expecting a
lot. I've noticed in past rounds that images that are 90% Poser don't fare
well.  I was pleasantly surprised that my concept score was the highest of
the three, I had expected to get a lot of 'off-topic' votes.

>A lot of nice "concept" or poster images this round that showed a lot of
>creativity and took the concept into directions I hadn't expected; a
>very entertaining collection.

Yes, there were several that triggered the "hey, I wish I'd thought of that"
reaction.

It was hurt a bit by all the
>slapped-together skeleton images (I'm not saying they shouldn't have
>entered).

And unfortunately, I suspect that hurt some of the other Bryce entries that
were actually much better.

Still, it's impressive to see what people can create in less
>than two months.

The fun is in the challenge...

RG

Post a reply to this message

From: Roberto A
Date: 11 Dec 2003 08:32:21
Message: <3fd871e5$1@news.povray.org>
> Yes, and having tried Blender a few times, and found it not-at-all user
> friendly, I'm always impressed when someone can produce something of
> quality like Old Barn with it.

You might want to try it again, since there were significant changes to the
UI with the intent of making it more "approachable". There are also great
improvements on some features and on Python scripting.

Get the 2.31a version if you will, I think you will not regret it.

Regards,

Roberto