POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Decay...Champ No More Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:57:57 EDT (-0400)
  Decay...Champ No More (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Decay...Champ No More
Date: 19 Nov 2003 23:08:20
Message: <3fbc3e34$1@news.povray.org>
In deference to this entry, I offer these quotes from "Mike Tyson" by
Joyce Carol Oates:

As soon as the bell sounds, opening round one, Tyson rushes out of his
corner to bring the fight to Berbick. In these quicksilver seconds, when
far more happens than the eye, let alone the verbalizing consciousness,
can absorb, it is clear that Tyson is the stronger of the two, the more
dominant; willful. He pushes forward unmindful of Berbick's greater age
and experience; the fight is to be his fight. If boxing is as much a
contest of psyches as of physical prowess, it is soon clear that Tyson,
on the attack, throwing beautifully controlled punches, is the superior

Early in the second round, Tyson knocks Berbick to the canvas with a
powerful combination of blows, including a left hook; when Berbick
manages to get gamely to his feet he is knocked down a second time with

area." (As Tyson will say afterward, he had come to "destroy" the
champion: "Every punch had a murderous intention.") Accompanied by the
wild clamor of the crowd as by an exotic sort of music, Berbick
struggles to his feet, his expression glazed like that of a man trapped
in a dream; he lurches across the ring on wobbly legs, falls another
time, onto the ropes; as if by a sheer effort of will gets up, staggers
across the ring in the opposite direction, is precariously on his feet
when the referee, Mills Lane, stops the fight. No more than nine seconds
have passed since Tyson's blow but the sequence, in slow motion, has
seemed much longer . . . . The nightmare image of a man struggling to
retain consciousness and physical control before nine thousand witnesses
is likely to linger in the memory: it is an image as inevitable in
boxing as that of the ecstatic boxer with his gloved hands raised in triumph

For more JCO's teasers on Tyson and on Boxing see:
http://storm.usfca.edu/~southerr/ontyson.html

-Jim

Post a reply to this message