POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Mystery...Notes Server Time
28 Mar 2024 17:59:50 EDT (-0400)
  Mystery...Notes (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Mystery...Notes
Date: 12 Aug 2003 21:19:52
Message: <3f399238$1@news.povray.org>
A mystery

Resurrecting the stylistic banalities of surrealist painting,
Michael Hunter takes a somewhat relaxed approach to the topic, playfully
reminding us of the last century's preoccupation with the
mysteries of the subconscious mind.

The picture demonstrates a good technical command of the
medium and takes advantage of the similarity between the tidy styles
of Magritte and Delvaux and the clean signature of a raytraced image.
In each case the "heightened" reality of the dreamworld is insinuated.

This sense of tidiness extends to the careful rationality of the
composition which contrasts with the irrational juxtapositions of the
content. All in all, a pleasing recreation of the surrealist idiom.

A study in scarlet

This scene patiently recalls the literary genre of mystery writing.
Taking the classic scene-of-the-crime as a hiding place for clues,
Stephan Ferrell imbeds a whole checklist of references to some classics
of the genre.  The rendering is  as satisfyingly stylized as is the
literary form.  The picture's reach never exceeds its grasp.

The blob tree

This image has a deja vue feel to it.  But I gotta admit, it made me laugh.

Mask

This image has a plastic brilliance whatever its relation to the topic.

Tzolkin

Majorie Graterol is a long time contributer to the IRTC and her pictures
always demonstrate a personal, thoughtful approach to the topic and an
idiomatic, painterly rendering style.  Here she brings to our attention
the amazing complexity of the Mayan calender in contrast to what we take
as primitive in their ancient culture.  Painstaking heightfield
recreations of the Maya Tzolkin are set among historic ruins, and actual
terrain, recreated with equal care.  At the focus of the composition is
a mysterious assemblage of forms which suggest the roundness of the
globe, and which mock this European 'discovery'.

Post a reply to this message

Jim Charter <jrc### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> A mystery
> This sense of tidiness extends to the careful rationality of the
> composition which contrasts with the irrational juxtapositions of the
> content. All in all, a pleasing recreation of the surrealist idiom.

Agreed, and I sure hope he enters this round!

> A study in scarlet
> This scene patiently recalls the literary genre of mystery writing.
> Taking the classic scene-of-the-crime as a hiding place for clues,
> Stephan Ferrell imbeds a whole checklist of references to some classics
> of the genre.  The rendering is  as satisfyingly stylized as is the
> literary form.  The picture's reach never exceeds its grasp.

Yes, a very nice image.  Stephen's images are always among the first I look
at. This one exhibits all of his usual attention to architectural detail,
and he has outdone himself with the lighting here.

> The blob tree
> This image has a deja vue feel to it.  But I gotta admit, it made me
laugh.

And I'm still trying to find time to check out his macro to place all the
blobs!  Can't have been easy!

> Mask
>
> This image has a plastic brilliance whatever its relation to the topic.

Kzerphii has a distinctive approach to color that demands your attention.
I'll admit I don't always "get" his work but I certainly enjoy it!   Hoping
to see him in the current round also.

> Tzolkin
>
> Majorie Graterol is a long time contributer to the IRTC and her pictures
> always demonstrate a personal, thoughtful approach to the topic and an
> idiomatic, painterly rendering style.  Here she brings to our attention
> the amazing complexity of the Mayan calender in contrast to what we take
> as primitive in their ancient culture.  Painstaking heightfield
> recreations of the Maya Tzolkin are set among historic ruins, and actual
> terrain, recreated with equal care.  At the focus of the composition is
> a mysterious assemblage of forms which suggest the roundness of the
> globe, and which mock this European 'discovery'.

Another great entry, my only complaint on this one is that it isn't larger!
There is an amazing amount of detail in her work that unfortunately isn't
fully evident in the smaller render.  Her "It makes me wonder" entry in the
Jan-Feb 02 round is one of my all time favorites.

RG

Post a reply to this message