POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Mystery...Siwah Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:12:02 EDT (-0400)
  Mystery...Siwah (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Mystery...Siwah
Date: 7 Aug 2003 19:28:47
Message: <3f32e0af$1@news.povray.org>
Steve Bennett takes 'mystery' as a point of departure for a well
elaborated piece of historical fiction.

A visit to the artist's website shows that he has an interest in mixing
various states of reality, from inner experience, throught to the
metaphysical, the mythic and the legendary.  He picks an interesting
moment to depict.  A real life mortal living in an age of oracles, is
recorded as journeying to visit one, before he goes on to epic
achievements in his life and in history.

Bennett takes an illustrator's approach to telling the story, choosing
to show a precise moment during the event.  Having just finished his
consultation, Alexander strides toward greatness, and the oracle, caught
in midstep, drops a small golden vessel.  We are given a fictional
moment in a real event.  But it makes our experience intimate.

The picture is a texture-mapping tour-de-force. The temple chambers at
Siwah are depicted as sumptuous with every surface covered in painted
murals or reliefs. Massive pillars frame a wide low space. Richly
decorated statues guard the portal to an inner chamber. A curtain of
jewels spans the foreground. Vases and a carpet lush with detailing
occupy the foreground. Fictional lighting highlights the opulence of the
scene and alludes to the possible metaphysics at work.

Post a reply to this message