POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Architecture...Chrysler Server Time
28 Mar 2024 21:35:31 EDT (-0400)
  Architecture...Chrysler (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Architecture...Chrysler
Date: 12 Jun 2003 17:28:43
Message: <3ee8f08b@news.povray.org>
A desire to visit the age when an architectural artifact was new.  Strip
away the  accumulations of time and see the architectural skyline as it
was.  The picture is made to look like an old black and white
photograph, which conditions our approach to it.  We see it also as an
artifact of the past with the power to transport us there if we make the
appropriate mental leap.  The signs of aging of the  photo are a cue to
try and mentally overcome that aging in order to retrieve a
glimpse from the past.

But the process of exploring old photographs and breathing new life into
them is the process the artist is engaged in as he reconstructs this
postcard from history.  Old photographs provide the references for the
buildings he models; old advertisements are used to reconstruct dated
billboards.  Of course we are never actually fooled, we never actually
believe we are seeing an old photograph. Instead we construct an idea of
the old postcard the artist used as his source.  Instead we enjoy the
peak over the artist's shoulder as he sifts photographs for lost
evidence. We watch as he lovingly applies the patina of time within
his "record" and to his record.

-Jim

Post a reply to this message