POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Before and After and new website : Re: Before and After and new website Server Time: 28 Sep 2020 15:33:57 GMT
  Re: Before and After and new website
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 1 May 2007 21:35:03
Comments for TC-RTC March/April 2007
“Before & After”

“But which came first?” by David Lewis:
Congratulations on coming up with a fun and creative take on the topic.
Thanks for the info on JPatch; I’ll be checking it out.  IMHO, the image
came out nicely.  Ignore any detracting comments you might get from the
“Photo-realism Police”.  Your chicken has much more character and
personality than any slavishly literal recreation.

“Just a splash” by Bill Pragnell:
Kudos to a fellow “transformative-effects-of–beverages” artist ;-)
I found the lighting interesting, but it did raise a question in my mind: Is
either side of the wall the interior of a structure?  Light (sunlight?)
seems to be coming from one side in “Before” and from the other in “After.”
 You’ve successfully created an intriguing sense of mood in any case.

“The Passing Away” by Malcolm Findlay:
“The BIG After” is a challenging subject which you’ve handled in a very
thoughtful way.  The sense of loss it conveys is moving without being
overdone or melodramatic.  On a technical note, it’s not really clear to me
what’s happening inside of the circular recess at the top of the headstone.

“Yet Another Reflective Sphere on a Checkered Plane” by Tek:
Very nicely done! Self-referential art only works well on certain occasions,
but this is clearly one of those occasions.  Along with demonstrating
impressive technical skills, the image interprets the topic in a manner
that evokes the passage of time in palpable fashion.

“Aging” by William Tracy:
I’m inclined to be much kinder to the image than you were in your
description.  The symbolism is clear and effective.  The complete absence
of clutter in the background helps in this regard.  The slightly
over-the-top style of the glasses keeps the image from being cliché.

“Reganomics” by Brian Price
As one of the folks who got “trickled-down” on, I’m personally very
sympathetic to your interpretation of the topic. Tight symmetry is a
compositional element that should be used cautiously and sparingly, but it
worked well in this particular case.  The vivid color palette is very
appropriate to the “Before” image, but perhaps toning down the colors just
a bit more in the “After” image would enhance the effect that I believe
that you’re going for. Overall, nice work.

“A Time of Change” by Thomas de Groot
Once again, you have demonstrated that you one of the (if not THE) premier
story tellers of our group.  I really wish Poser were a better program so
that its figures might do justice to the excellent work you do by way of
giving your characters life and personality.  As you can tell, I’m still
not a Poser fan, but I truly admire the job you do in transcending its
limitations.  Congratulations on another great entry.

“This to that” by ~Steve~:
OK, Steve, time to ‘fess up... TWO web sites, a job, a life AND this great
image.  Just how many times DID you clone yourself?  Seriously, a really
nice job.