POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Minimum Entry Requirements Server Time
1 Jul 2024 04:46:19 EDT (-0400)
  Minimum Entry Requirements (Message 41 to 50 of 56)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Re: Minimum Entry Requirements
Date: 17 Jun 2009 18:24:20
Message: <4a396d14$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

> Now my personal sentiments are more aligned with Warp's.  There is an
> intuitive purity to drawing the line at single-pass rendering with a ray
> tracer, using the ray tracer only, with no post-processing.

Despite everything I posted to the contrary, I fully agree
with that. But I think that's the viewpoint of us people drawn
in from the technical side. If I wanted to make a great digital
image I would buy a camera ;) the fascinating part for me is
that you get results from some code snippets. But it would
just hamper the artists.

Maybe the IRTC should allow tagging a submission as "purist".
That would be restricted to images created using an officially
released version of a raytracer, using pure code, no modeller,
no external data files, no image maps, no multipass renders, and
of course absolutely no post-processing except jpg conversion.
Source code would be mandatory for purist images and the highest
ranking purist image gets an honorable mention ;)

Post a reply to this message

> The bottom line is that people using Povray should be very eager to change the

> many of advanced processes almost demand you to have a supercomputer.  Give

You don't need a supercomputer, you just need a few spare weeks to render :)

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message

"Christian Froeschlin" <chr### [at] chrfrde> schreef in bericht
> Maybe the IRTC should allow tagging a submission as "purist".
> That would be restricted to images created using an officially
> released version of a raytracer, using pure code, no modeller,
> no external data files, no image maps, no multipass renders, and
> of course absolutely no post-processing except jpg conversion.
> Source code would be mandatory for purist images and the highest
> ranking purist image gets an honorable mention ;)

LOL!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe the IRTC should allow tagging a submission as "purist".
> That would be restricted to images created using an officially
> released version of a raytracer, using pure code, no modeller,
> no external data files, no image maps, no multipass renders, and
> of course absolutely no post-processing except jpg conversion.
> Source code would be mandatory for purist images and the highest
> ranking purist image gets an honorable mention ;)

Now that's an idea I like! I too have always been most enthused by the idea of
'pure' code generating a beautiful image, and I often design scenes with this
philosophy. (I wonder, could my meshrelief macros be used to generate .inc
files for this scenario? It is a multi-parse, if not a multi-pass render...)

I don't necessarily think this idea should be implemented, but I like it ;-)

Post a reply to this message