POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Enough time? The right idea? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Enough time? The right idea? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Shay
Subject: Enough time? The right idea?
Date: 5 Jun 2013 13:38:55
Message: <51af77af$1@news.povray.org>
Copied from the tc-rtc board. If you wish to add anything to this, please do
so there if not in both places. Follow-ups /virtually/ set (with your
cooperation). The whole point of writing this was to encourage
participation, so I'm putting it here for a wider audience. It was this or a
long list of topic-interpretation ideas. I decided the list might discourage
anyone who's idea I'd inadvertently "leaked" before the deadline.

Post __ Begins __ ... Now

As a challenge, I decided to put together all the advice I’ve given others
and to hold myself to every bit of it:

1. Keep in mind that this is a challenge, not a competition.
Don’t believe me? Have a look at the website. Entries are ranked, but the
competitive aspect is an _extra_ bit of fun for those who are interested.
You won’t have to concern yourself with winning if you take any of my advice
below: you’ll all but eliminate your chance for a win.

2. Don’t be afraid to use recycled material.
I’ve been one of the worst about starting every image from a blank page and
I’m a firm believer that a long process facilitates deep exploration of a
theme, but the least stimulating entry is the one that’s never uploaded, and
re-tooling can be a “long process” in itself.

3. Limit yourself to what can be competently executed with the skill, time,
and equipment you have available.
This doesn’t mean your entry has to be easy or simple. Design a scene that
can be conceptually, if not structurally, advanced away from your computer.

4. Feel free to interpret the topic liberally.
The “topic police” have always and will always be present in the rtc. Thumb
your nose at them. Cleverness and sanctimony are NOT the entirety of art.
What’s clever about the Mona Lisa?

5. Objectify your goals in your entry description--maybe.
Your audience can most easily evaluate your results as the fulfillment of
your intentions. Open communication of those intentions will facilitate
commenting and dialog. However, if you don’t necessarily want a verbal
response (for your own sake or the sake of the tc-rtc), then you might be
better off ignoring this one. Some will insist that the only genuine way to
exhibit art is to thrust it, sans explanation or apology, into the universe
and expect some Newtonian response. That’s valid, but has failed thus far to
stimulate the tc-rtc.

Now, off to discover that perfect losing concept and illustrate it in time
to write an elaborate description.

-Shay