POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : TC-RTC: Challenge 1 & 2: Final Results and.... ADIEU! : Re: TC-RTC: Challenge 1 & 2: Final Results and.... ADIEU! Server Time
23 Oct 2024 20:03:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TC-RTC: Challenge 1 & 2: Final Results and.... ADIEU!
From: Paolo Gibellini
Date: 6 Sep 2017 05:10:42
Message: <59afbb92$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote on 06/09/2017 09:30:
> And so we have come at last to the end of our long journey. A journey
> not unlike Ulysses' for we have visited strange places on the Earth and
> beyond, we have tasted strange fruits, and we have witnessed amazing
> customs and rites. All this thanks to your imagination and skills.
>
> As a temporary replacement for the Internet Ray Tracing competition,
> TC-RTC was the brainchild of Steve Paget, a stalwart of the IRTC and the
> Pov-Ray newsgroups. He designed it with Colin, the web developer who
> hosts the site. Steve ran the site for three years and we have run it
> for the last seven. As a temporary replacement for the IRTC, Tina Chep
> has lasted almost as long as the original. That is twenty years of
> almost continuous computer generated rendering competitions.
>
> As our ways are parting, we have all of us been enriched by this shared
> experience. And we, as administrators, we say:
>          *So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!*
> but above all:
>          *Thanks For Your Participation!*
>
> But it does not end here. A worthy successor to the TC-RTC has been
> found in NOA OF ARC (http://www.noaofarc.ca/en-us/) which will continue
> the tradition. Please go there and join!
>
> Stephen & Thomas, Administrators

IRTC was the origin of my first approach to POV-Ray (through Moray), and
this competition (united perhaps to scc) will always remain in my memory
because it was the expression of a world where art, math and code met.
Mathematical artists, artistic developers and whatever combination:
interesting and polite people. I waited impatiently for each round, and
there was always something of very interesting.
TC-RTC has filled the gap due to the end of IRTC. It was organized in a
somewhat different way, but there was a lot of enthusiastic people.

Now, I miss you already, *RTC.

Competitions for enthusiastic people are a good way to stimulate
everyone to make the best of themselves, and usually there are many
innovative elements, unlike in the contests for professionals.

In the last months I had no time for writing decent pov-code, but I'm
always following the newsgroup and TC-RTC. Should we migrate to NOA OF
ARC? Ok, let's get a try.

Stephen, Thomas and other Administrators, thank you for your efforts and
for the service given.

Paolo