POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Using povray to select a raytracing competition topic. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 20:41:59 EDT (-0400)
  Using povray to select a raytracing competition topic. (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Using povray to select a raytracing competition topic.
Date: 19 Mar 2007 18:00:02
Message: <web.45ff15dde7f00d1334d207310@news.povray.org>
I put a file here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.45ff13a5e7f00d1334d207310%40news.povray.org%3E/

Basically, I went to project gutenberg, downloaded their list of some 5800
book titles, and selected the 830-odd of which I thought would make really
cool titles for a raytracing competition.

What's best about is is that there is a random, verifiable, yet completely
uncontrollable and unpredictable way of picking the topic!  It's based on
some agreed-upon number chosen in the future.  I chose the Dow Jones (TM)
Industrial Average.  This version of the .pov file has you type in the
average to two decimal places, but only uses the last four significant
digits (in order to prevent anyone from trying to affect the market in
order to sway choice of the topic). :)

Enjoy.

Someday if no one comes up with a better idea, I may use this as a
youtube.com-based animation contest.