POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Confirm Topic And Completion Date Server Time
28 Mar 2024 20:09:57 EDT (-0400)
  Confirm Topic And Completion Date (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: dbott
Subject: Confirm Topic And Completion Date
Date: 15 Apr 2007 01:53:41
Message: <4621bde5$1@news.povray.org>
Sorry, just got back..............been out of town and away from the
computer.
So the topic is "The Black Robe" and when is the completion date for
stills and animations?

Thanx Darin

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Subject: Re: Confirm Topic And Completion Date
Date: 15 Apr 2007 05:49:07
Message: <4621f513@news.povray.org>
"dbott" <dbo### [at] eastsoundsuitescom> wrote in message
> Sorry, just got back..............been out of town and away from the
> computer.
> So the topic is "The Black Robe" and when is the completion date for
> stills and animations?

      No, 'The Black Robe" was just an example Darin. Of course, you can go
with this subject if you all want to, or if you all want me to, I'll pick
another one for you.

     As for the Anims completion date, that would be for you all to decide
on. The present Stills competition (Before and After) will end on the 30th
April. If you want the Anims to tie-in with the Stills, I don't see why the
Anims is every 4 months - would this be too long? Or would 2 months be too
short?

     ~Steve~

> Thanx Darin

Post a reply to this message

>       No, 'The Black Robe" was just an example Darin. Of course, you can go
> with this subject if you all want to, or if you all want me to, I'll pick
> another one for you.
>
>      As for the Anims completion date, that would be for you all to decide
> on. The present Stills competition (Before and After) will end on the 30th
> April. If you want the Anims to tie-in with the Stills, I don't see why the
> Anims is every 4 months - would this be too long? Or would 2 months be too
> short?

Hi,

-> just stating my own opinion here - will also bend to the
majority ;) <-

four months is OK - that's 120 days, and more chance to
sneak working on 3D in between this "real life" i've been
hearing so much about ;)

60 days is a bit short for animations (esp. if modelling is
included - i find that it takes more than 2/3 of the time i
spend on an animation)

I also was under the impression of "The black robe" being
the next topic.

For a timeframe, i think months-aligned (i.e. 30/31/1st)
should do nicely.

OK, i'm going back to building a bigger spaceship now...

-Markus

--
Current Song: "Lit" : "Over my Head" (Titan A.E. Soundtrack)

Post a reply to this message

"Markus Altendorff" <maa### [at] anthrosphinxde> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
> >       No, 'The Black Robe" was just an example Darin. Of course, you can
go
> > with this subject if you all want to, or if you all want me to, I'll
pick
> > another one for you.
> >
> >      As for the Anims completion date, that would be for you all to
decide
> > on. The present Stills competition (Before and After) will end on the
30th
> > April. If you want the Anims to tie-in with the Stills, I don't see why
the
> > Anims is every 4 months - would this be too long? Or would 2 months be
too
> > short?
>
> Hi,
>
> -> just stating my own opinion here - will also bend to the
> majority ;) <-
>
> four months is OK - that's 120 days, and more chance to
> sneak working on 3D in between this "real life" i've been
> hearing so much about ;)
>
> 60 days is a bit short for animations (esp. if modelling is
> included - i find that it takes more than 2/3 of the time i
> spend on an animation)
>
> I also was under the impression of "The black robe" being
> the next topic.
>
> For a timeframe, i think months-aligned (i.e. 30/31/1st)
> should do nicely.
>
> OK, i'm going back to building a bigger spaceship now...
>
> -Markus
>
> --
> Current Song: "Lit" : "Over my Head" (Titan A.E. Soundtrack)

Yes - I agree with Markus --- I like 4 months. It will give us plenty of
time
to produce a praiseworthy animation. This will also tie-in nicely with the
stills comp.
Also, it might be kinda fun to have one topic for both stills and
animation....
One could look at the interpretation of a still picture (and then click)
to see the interpretation in animation. (interesting ????)
However, the still and animation topic will not be concurrent on completion
date
which should not make a difference. If the web page is designed properly,
one will
see the evolution of this scheme.

These are only suggestion. By consolidating same topic and completion dates
for stills and animations; it should make managing the web site easier to
start with.

.....Ok,  I think animation should join in on the next topic starting after
April 30th
this will help get animation involved in the new web site. It was starting
to feel like
we were not part of it.

Thanx  ~Steve~  for keeping the this community alive.

Post a reply to this message

> [...]
> However, the still and animation topic will not be concurrent on
> completion
> date
> which should not make a difference. If the web page is designed properly,
> one will
> see the evolution of this scheme.
>
> These are only suggestion. By consolidating same topic and completion
> dates
> for stills and animations; it should make managing the web site easier to
> start with.
>
> .....Ok,  I think animation should join in on the next topic starting
> after
> April 30th
> this will help get animation involved in the new web site. It was starting
> to feel like
> we were not part of it.
>
> Thanx  ~Steve~  for keeping the this community alive.

 No, *thank you* for your input and suggestions guys. This is shaping up
nicely! I agree that  4 months would be good for the animations, and Darin,
your suggestion of having the same topic for both the Stills and Anims is a
good one. I really like the idea of being able to switch over to see an
animated version of what would be the current topic, (and of course, you
could always enter a still from your animation in the Stills challenge
too!). However, you're also correct, this would mean that you miss 3 topics
per year, but I really don't think that it will matter that much seeing as
you guys are on the ball with your anims and any 'past' anims (to the Still
guys and public) will surely be worth the wait.

  Ok, now we're getting somewhere. :o) I can now add animations to the
website too because having everything tie-in together will be so much easier
to control even though the website will be fully automated.

   As for the next topic, yes, it will be "The Black Robe" for both the
Stills and Animations. I think this will 'kick-off' the new website very
nicely indeed, and don't forget that both Stills and Animations will be
voted and commented on too using the same system, i.e., Artistic -
Technical - Concept.

   Hopefully, in the next few days, I'll post an update in the Stills group
about what is planned and what changes are going to take place for the new
Ray Tracing Challenge - I think the whole concept of this new website will
be very interesting indeed for *all* Tracers.   :o)

      ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

"Markus Altendorff" <maa### [at] anthrosphinxde> wrote in message

> I also was under the impression of "The black robe" being the next topic.

   Yes, I'm sorry, looking back at what I typed, it did look like that.
Anyway, the next topic is now set.

> OK, i'm going back to building a bigger spaceship now...

    Hey, looking forward to seeing it Markus.  :o)

       ~Steve~