POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Df3 file bigger than 1024^3 : Re: Df3 file bigger than 1024^3 Server Time
29 Mar 2024 05:00:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Df3 file bigger than 1024^3
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Aug 2006 12:45:03
Message: <ed1qmb$j1i$1@chho.imagico.de>
arm2arm wrote:
> Hello,
> I tried to render df3 volume file with 2048x2048x512 data and
> povray crushes. the reason was pointer index for map.It was out from integer
> range in the df3 reading routine in the file:
> pattern.cpp
> /////////////
> line 4288: void Read_Density_File(DENSITY_FILE *df)
> {
>   // int x, y, z, sx, sy, sz;
>  long x, y, z, sx, sy, sz;//changed int to long
> ///////////////
>
> This works for reading of df3 file, but after parsing it is crushing
> /////////
> 0:00:00 Rendering line 1 of 240Segmentation fault
> /////////////////////
>
> Where I need to change (x, y, z, sx, sy, sz) to get the run for huge data?
> Thanks

The density file pattern is apparently indeed currently not suited for
being used above the 2GB limit.  This is the case both in the DF3
reading you pointed out and the actual pattern evaluation.  The required
changes are probably not very difficult but only recommended to make for
someone who knows the POV-Ray source code.

Testing this kind of thing is a bit cumbersome of course - having 2GB+
df3s lying around and reading them...

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 20 Aug. 2006)