POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Patchy stuff : Re: Patchy stuff Server Time
24 Apr 2024 00:49:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patchy stuff
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Mar 2005 19:36:22
Message: <cjameshuff-898DF0.19362101032005@news.povray.org>
In article <4224eba5$1@news.povray.org>, "Eli" <eli### [at] jehoelnet> wrote:

> Taken from http://www.dotcsw.com/doc/options.html: "While the Perlin
> algorithm is widely used and efficient to generate, it suffers from
> directional artifacts and always returns 0.5 when passed whole numbers."
>
> So that explains the rectangular artifacts we have been encountering!

Is this in response to my Lewis noise patch? It could as well be a
separate message that got sent as a reply by accident...

There is an updated version of Perlin noise which makes the lattice
artifacts less obvious (though it doesn't solve the problem of always
equalling 0.5 at regular intervals), as well as giving an overall
speedup and improvement in overall evenness of the noise. It doesn't
entirely eliminate the problem, though. Also, the POV team has been
aware of this for some time...probably the only reason it's not in 3.6
is lack of time. Lewis noise is an entirely different algorithm.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/