POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma issues 3.8 : gamma issues 3.8 Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:41:54 EDT (-0400)
  gamma issues 3.8
From: ingo
Date: 16 Jun 2021 09:20:35
Message: <XnsAD4B9C14FBDD0seed7@news.povray.org>
https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/183

I have not follwed all the gamma issues and discussions. Just read a
githubmessage from Clipka.

Imo there is no proper way to fix things. There are pre gamma scenes, post
gamma fix scenes, CRT viewed scenes, broken scenes and there is artistic
freedom, just plain "abuse" and users not reading the fine print.

The way colours are speciefied don't make it easier. With or without
macros.

We've seen the granite discussion. Regardless of "right and wrong" it is
complex.

Now, I don't think we can just toss all that doesn't look right. But do we
realy need all the old stuff? What's wrong with keeping a repository of
those with the comment that they only look right when used with the
equipment and settings the creator used.

Fix only the scenes hat are mentioned in the docs and the easy ones. Maybe
add modern scenes as was done in 3.7 iirc.

This is not to make it easy, but to prevent spending lots of time on sub-
optimalisations.

--
https://ingoogni.nl