POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Sounds of POV-Ray : Re: The Sounds of POV-Ray Server Time
18 Apr 2024 22:54:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Sounds of POV-Ray
From: ingo
Date: 1 Apr 2021 11:52:34
Message: <XnsACFFB5D42DEA3seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:6065e4e4$1@news.povray.org William F Pokorny wrote:

> Has anyone has figured out how to add sound synchronization 'hooks'
> into rendered frames or file associated frames during particular
> frame renders by Pov-Ray?

There are several way I'm exploring. Nothing is stable yet. But what one
can do is assign a kind of timeline to each sonding object. The animation
clock is perfect for that. Maybe add an extreme clock divider to get a
better granularity within the 1/30 second of a frame.
Then use that for writing events to a file. These can be midi notes, or
midi evelopes, or OSC data, or just values in a range to be interpreted
later.
For a bouncing ball you could start an event at the moment of contact.
Then create an envelope depending on how much a ball is squished before it
bounces back. Use such data to modulate a sound source.

The fun thing is that POV-Ray has all these nice functions that
synthesisers have not. Things that are available hare have to written in
SuperCollider or Csound. Also I think many of the DSP stuff can be done in
POV-Ray, but it is slow.

Next up, wave teraain synthesis. I think tomorrow.

Ingo