POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Newbie to POV : Re: Newbie to POV Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:56:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie to POV
From: ingo
Date: 14 Mar 2005 14:37:23
Message: <Xns9619D1CA562B3seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:web.423515f1ef257ace4b2ca0be0@news.povray.org Toshiya wrote:

> can someone help me with the basics? I've messed around with 3D
> Studio Max in the past and it looks very different to this

Toshiya,

The first of the basics is that there is no modeller, you probably
noticed. Everything comes from a readable text script. Yet you can use
all kind of modellers and many output POV-Ray's SDL directly or you can
use mesh converters on *.obj etc. files. There is no modeller that fully
supports every aspect of POV-Ray but Moray comes close. So to get
everything out of it you'll have to learn some scripting, especialy if
you want to use the more advanced features like radiosity, photons or
media.

The second basics there is is the manual. Even if you don't intend to
write scenes by hand, work through the tutorial par of the docs as it
gives a good idea of how POV-Ray works.

If language is a problem, there is an international news group on this
server where you can post in your own language. On the web you may find
some more or less complete translations of the POV-Ray documentation.

Ingo