POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : questions on parametric objects and 3d splines : Re: questions on parametric objects and 3d splines Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: questions on parametric objects and 3d splines
From: ingo
Date: 15 Mar 2004 14:32:09
Message: <Xns94ADD0E604C7Aseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:40559c7f@news.povray.org lars petter wrote:

> So then we're wondering if there is some way to make these objects
> have a thickness as well..

firts option, of witcj I doubt it is what you're looking for; use the
parametric macro found at http://members.home.nl/seedseven/#param It
generates parametric objects using mesh', you can makes mesh "solid" by
adding the "inside_vector" keyword to it, but only when the shape is
closed. See "6.5.2.3.1  Solid Mesh" in the docs.

Another option, well more of a wild guess from me, could be to use the
parametric macro to generate vertices and their companion normals. If you
want to add thickness to your triangle you could go along each normal for
a certain distance and create a new triangle there. To make a closed shape
of the two triangles you'd have to add another six triangles. Or you could
use a prism instead, but that would be slow with many "triangles".

Ingo