POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PowerMac G5 implications : Re: PowerMac G5 implications Server Time
29 Mar 2024 03:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PowerMac G5 implications
From: Thomas van der Veen
Date: 26 Jun 2003 08:30:01
Message: <Xns93A689423331Eveentukibmcom@204.213.191.226>
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote in

> Thomas van der Veen wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I have a GCC and a Xlc compile for AIX and there is hardly any
>> difference at all in the POV times. If I remember correctly the
>> skyvase scene took about 30 minutes on one of the machines I tried on
>> about 2 years ago. The 64 bit compile of 3.1 took just a bit longer
>> (just a minute or two)
>
> That does not sound very believable, i doubt there ever was a 64bit
> machine where skyvase takes 30 minutes.  On my old K6/500 it takes
> less than 3 minutes.
>
> Christoph

I posted the result to www.tabsnet.com, just search the AIX results. 28
minutes and 10 seconds..... That is doing the chess2.pov. And that result
is probably with the 32 bit compile and as I said the 64 bit compile is a
bit slower. The processors on that machine are running at 375Mhz and I
only used one of them, maybe it can go a bit faster if I make sure that
only one of them is used (this will make sure that pov code and data will
only be in one of the caches), but I'm not quite sure how to do that.

I can try and run it on one of the Power4(+) machines we have here, they
are a lot faster.

Thomas