POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ideal Linux distribution : Re: Ideal Linux distribution Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:39:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ideal Linux distribution
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 6 Jan 2016 00:16:24
Message: <MPG.30f66d202e0988b989695@news.povray.org>
In article <5688092d@news.povray.org>, ano### [at] anonymousorg says...

> Hi folks,
>
> can someone recommend a Linux distribution satisfying the following
> requirements:
>
> - 64 bit
> - long-term support
> - headless operation
> - FAST remote GUI access from a Windows desktop

I use Ubuntu. I install the server edition so I get a text console.  If
you install the Workstation, then you get a gui console. It might be no
big deal but that's what I prefer.  The server edition doesn't come with
X proper, so I run `sudo apt-get install xclock` and it pulls in all of
X.

If you're really counting megabits then learn ye vnc
(vncserver/vncviewer).

I use/support 6000 boxes.  (Is it really a lan when you use all of 10/8
?) Most of the time I use ssh, but when I need to run our store's app, I
use vnc, which gives me a remote desktop that is fast.
X is a pig is a pig is a pig. Wait, let me say that again. X-is-a-pig-
is-a-p
uh! autowrap, I'll need to redraw. But first I have to unload my buffer.
ig-is-a-pig.
X-is-a-pig-(don't move your mouse!)is-pig-is-a-pig.