POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Looking for a 16bit heightfield to logarithmic converter : Re: Looking for a 16bit heightfield to logarithmic converter Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:46:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for a 16bit heightfield to logarithmic converter
From: Mike Williams
Date: 18 Dec 2003 01:30:29
Message: <JKrqeDANlU4$Ewki@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it anidon who wrote:
>I use POVRAY to make images of straylight in optical systems.  The very low
>intensity parts of the image are the most interesting.  Although the
>information is present in the red/green image it is not visually
>intelligible. It would be nice to have a POV output file format that was
>logarithmic - but otherwise a *.exe utility which inputs the heightfield
>and outputs an image file which is proportional to the log ( decimal or
>natural )of 1 to 65535.
>
>Is anyone able and willing and sufficiently interested to create one and
>publish it?

If you have an image processing program that accepts Adobe-compatible
plugins, then I can let you have a plugin that will perform such
processing. Windows only. I've tried testing it on a dark HF_gray_16 TGA
file, and it seems to be doing the right sort of thing, but I don't have
any images that are in any way improved by being logarithmised and the
output looks pretty naff until I perform additional contrast and
brightness processing.

If you don't have an image processing program that accepts Adobe-
compatible plugins, then it's possible to do it for free with Irfanview,
by installing "8BF-Filters.dll" from the Irfanview plugins page, which
allows Irfanview to run Adobe-compatible plugins.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure