POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Tips & tricks: How speed-up calculations in loops : Re: Tips & tricks: How speed-up calculations in loops Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tips & tricks: How speed-up calculations in loops
Date: 5 Feb 2002 11:32:38
Message: <6eiv5uge7iq4efs54sm4rgk24d0safdgjm@4ax.com>

wrote:
> I want to compare speed between macro calculation, inline calculation and
> function calculation. All tests are performed with currrent (10) beta of POV-Ray
> 3.5 for Windows (icl) on PII 233 with 128 MB and. Here are scripts:

Here is result of extended test made after Warp's suggestions:

Total CPU time used was measured in seconds.
The same machine, script and calculation was used.
Every scene was started 3 times. result was averaged.
Two loops as earlier but with max. 1000 so, it was 1.000.000 use of calculation:

external macro       - 1026,47 [s]
internal macro       -  350,73 [s]
calculation on-place -  221,15 [s]
external function    -  179,62 [s]