POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Apollonian [CG]Sphere packings : Re: Apollonian [CG]Sphere packings Server Time
27 Sep 2024 01:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apollonian [CG]Sphere packings
From: Alain Martel
Date: 17 Sep 2024 11:30:51
Message: <66e9a0ab$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2024-09-16 à 12:25, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> MichaelJF <fri### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>> In the examples shown here, I have
>> ended the process after 13 ‘generations’, which exhausts the
>> possibilities of POV on my machine (Core I9 with 32GB RAM). Each of the
>> following sphere packings consists of a total of 16,099,560 individual
>> balls. With 14 generations one reaches a total of 54,118,529 spheres,
>> which is beyond the capabilities of my machine.
>
> I find this interesting.
> Somehow that doesn't seem like a lot of spheres for those system specs.
>
> 1. What happens when you "exceed the capabilities"?
> 2. Is there any difference if you use blobs?
> 3. Do you think that happens because each sphere is assigned it's own individual
> texture?  What happens if they're all union[ed] and given a single texture?
> 4. What happens if you make a sphere mesh and simply translate and scale that,
> instead of instantiating a new sphere {} ?
I don't think that it would help.
As I understand it :
A minimal sphere is defined by it's centre and radius. A translated
sphere sees it's centre point modified by the translation, so, no added
translation component. That's a vector and a float = 4 floats.
For a mesh, that would be a translation and a scaling. That's two
vectors= 6 floats, or two extra floats.

In both cases, individually assigning a texture would add the texture
definition to each object.