POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Apollonian [CG]Sphere packings : Apollonian [CG]Sphere packings Server Time
27 Sep 2024 01:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Apollonian [CG]Sphere packings
From: MichaelJF
Date: 16 Sep 2024 11:41:09
Message: <66e85195@news.povray.org>
After showing a first version of osculatory sphere packings in
BaldEagle's "Pappus Chain" thread, I couldn't let the topic rest.

https://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/message/%3C66a14899%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C66a14899%40news.povray.org%3E

In the image mentioned above, I cancelled the process after nine
iteration steps in each packing. In the examples shown here, I have
ended the process after 13 ‘generations’, which exhausts the
possibilities of POV on my machine (Core I9 with 32GB RAM). Each of the
following sphere packings consists of a total of 16,099,560 individual
balls. With 14 generations one reaches a total of 54,118,529 spheres,
which is beyond the capabilities of my machine.
In these pictures I have always used the initial configuration with the
curvatures 1,2,2,3,3 (i.e. the radii 1,1/2,1/2,1/3,1/3), which all
authors seem to agree on calling ‘apollonian’.
Even though the CGSphere competition was shut down in 2018, I used the
scenario demanded there back then. The first image shows the Apollonian
sphere packing in front of this classic CGSphere background with the
material from the first image mentioned above: It still looks quite nice
here, but in my eyes looks better in the first image.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '20240911osp_cgsphere_1920.png' (2109 KB)

Preview of image '20240911osp_cgsphere_1920.png'
20240911osp_cgsphere_1920.png